Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
manure in Montgomery Co.?

Posted by HKinPA z6 PA (My Page) on
Mon, May 2, 05 at 21:59

Hi, We are by Ft. Washington with a 25 x 50 raised bed garden. We are looking for sources for cow/chicken/sheep manure in Montgomery or Bucks counties. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: manure in Montgomery Co.?

for a small area like that you should be able to get all you need from almost any of the local dairy farms in your area. It would most likely be green (hot) so you would need to be careful with it. But just load up as big a container as will fit in your vehicle, drive out of town and find a back road. Enjoy the ride and the scenery. When you see a farm, stop in and ask, most farmers are cordial and happy to get rid of some manure. Might even get a tour of their own home gardens and possibly end up with some great cuttings of flowers you have been looking for. Even horse manure will work and not as likely to burn your plants but tends to have more viable weed seeds in it.

o

Since we are on this subject.....does manure attract predators such as coyotes and bears?

Lav

o

I live in Lancaster Co and all of the garden centers sell dehydrated cow and chicken manure. You can use it right away and it's practically odorless. I use the chicken manure for my veggies and the cow manure for my perennial beds.

I have never heard of manure attracting predators. Of course, there aren't any bears or coyotes in my area. ;^)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here