Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When for Hydrangeas?

Posted by vlf4230 z6 Pa (My Page) on
Fri, May 5, 06 at 22:28

So should I assume that all those branches sticking out of my hydrangeas, that have yet to sprout leaves, are dead? I have plenty of leaves at the base but very, very few on the old growth.

I can't remember how late I had to wait last year. What with the warm winter and the early spring I'm so confused when to expect anything. I even have sunflowers blooming.

I'm really hoping I have more time on the hydrangeas. If not it looks like there won't be much in the way of blooms this year.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When for Hydrangeas?

I've always wandered this myself. Thanks for the post Jim. When I first planted my hydrangea outside it grew nicely. When the winter ended, and spring came, I was about to chop off all those dead looking branches, but noticed growth from them. Good thing I left it alone.

o

I would leave them until later in summer when they are about to bloom and by then, you may find that you may not need to cut the cane all the way down, thus allowing you to increase the overall height.

o

As I understand it, different kinds of hydrangea have different fall pruning needs.

The classic old-fashioned Pee Gees and Annabelles bloom on new wood and need to be cut back almost to the ground so they don't get too floppy and big.

The fancy japanese hybrids bloom on old wood and shouldn't be pruned back hard because you'll cut off next year's buds.

And I don't prune my oakleaf hydrangeas at all.

I planted a bed of mixed hydrangeas three years ago and pruned like this for the first time last fall. So far the results look good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here