Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenguy_

Warmth please

gardenguy_
17 years ago

Wow, it's been chilly in eastern part of the country, including Western Pa. I don't mind the rain, but at least a few days in the 70's would be nice. I looked at weather.com and see that it's almost breaking the 90's in Montana and Idaho! Here, we're getting down into the mid to low 40's at night. Who would have thought? Just for that, I'd say it's fair that the first frosts be delayed for 6 weeks this year? : )

Comments (10)

• Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

I agree, it's nippy out there. Yesterday evening we had some really cold winds blowing through.

• mjw15618
    17 years ago

I agree...this weather is awful for late May, even by Pittsburgh standards. Of course, two weeks ago when it was dry and in the 70's, I planted 40 tomatoes, 10 peppers and 8 eggplants. They're hanging tough, but some sun would be nice! My lettuce, spinach and cole crops are loving this cool weather, though. They're going gang busters! Keep your fingers crossed...it's suppose to dry out and warm up next week.

• murial
    17 years ago

Only positive thing this weather has done for me is to do weeding and other garden chores without bugs, sunscreen or heat! All the weeds came out nicely cause everything is soaking wet.

And I think I'll have a field to mow before I can cut the grass.

I've only transplanted some hostas, everything else is still ready to plant. And looking very soggy at this point.

• gardenguy_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

murial, good point. I also had my tomatoes, pepper plants and cucumbers planted as well. Nothing has been damaged and they're growing slowly. At least we can all be happy that we didn't get frost. With the overcast nights and rain, I think that helped as well. We get colder nights when it's clear out.

• tomn66
    17 years ago

I see there is a chance of frost for tonight and tomorrow night. I planted some perennials the beginning of May so I guess I should cover them again.

• murial
    17 years ago

I just mowed the lawn. It's freezing out and already clouding up again.
    Wondering if the 37 degrees predicted will turn into the low 30's as it usually does in my yard.
    I'm too tired to pull out all the frost blankets again......
    Was going to attempt starting the window boxes and pots tomorrow.

• bobntess
    17 years ago

It seems to do this every May. You get a few nice warm days to give you spring fever, then here comes the cold snap - you think I'd learn by now.
    They're calling for 30's tonight, maybe frost. Some things are already planted - guess they'll have to rough it.

• Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

Well, we got our warmth. Summer is here!

• caliloo
    17 years ago

I am shaking my fist at everyone who was asking for warmth! Too darn hot!

All my roses are blowing blooms in a day, my hostas are freaking out and blooming in May, my grass is dry and yucky (I only water the gardens LOL).

Bah on heat! Give me those chilly days when I can get something done rather than sit inside and pay for air conditioning!

Alexa

• gardenguy_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Alexa, sorry to hear about your hot weather discomfort. I love this stuff, LOL! No air conditioner for me. The next week or so should be good for you tho, as temps are expected to lower.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH