Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the growth rate of Burning Bush?

Posted by butterfly4u 6 SE PA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 07 at 0:15

Hi all,
I recently bought a burning bush from Home Depot that is about 2 1/2 to 3 feet high.
It has a beautiful shape to it.
I want to use it as an accent plant in my garden in full sun.
Some web sites say that the bush is fast growing and some say slow.
It is not a dwarf. It is a regular burning bush that will get 10 feet high at maturity.
I want it to grow as quickly as possible so I am going to water it and fertilize it for optimum growth.
Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the growth rate of Burning Bush?

I planted 10 burning bushes in a bed in my back yard a few years ago. They do not grow terribly quickly. I think they're probably a foot taller now than they were three years ago. I have not fertilized them since I initially planted them (discovered fertilizing newly planted shrubs was a mistake!), and I don't prune them either. So I'm sure I'm not encouraging growth as much as I could. They have filled out very nicely, and they're are gorgeous in the fall! By the way, don't be surprised if they don't "burn" the first year.

o

Annld,
Thanks for the response!

o

I have some "dwarf" ones in my front yard that are about 6 ft tall now.

You may find yours will grow faster in SE PA. Mine are under the full shade of a pine tree, in a very dry location.

Additionally, you can look forward to eventually having little seedling burning bushes here and there....

o

It is best to go easy on the fertilizer with newly planted shrubs. Good soil, and full sun and it may grow about 3-5" a year. However it will take several years for it to get 5-6ft.

o

I looked at mine again today, and I think they've grown more like 1 1/2 to 2 feet in three years. I can definitely see that the ones that get the most sun have also grown the most. They really are beautiful. I highly recommend them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here