Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilly316

Lantana

Lily316
19 years ago

I bought one at Country Market yesterday and now find out after planting it, it won't survive in the Harrisburg area over the winter. Any help in how to make that happen?

Comments (15)

• Bill_zone6
    19 years ago

Yes, take cuttings for indoors. Or if you have a friend with a greenhouse, let them borrow the plant for the winter.

• jiggreen
    19 years ago

ahhh country market and lantana....i went a few weeks back and saw they had lantana and jasmine on the ends of the perennial aisles..i was so excited!! i thought to myself..wow, they finally came out with a lantana that will be perennial in our area!! i wanted to verify this with a salesperson, because from all i know about lantana (and granted, it's not too too much) they are not perennial in our area. so i find a country market employee and he tells me that nope, they are annual in our zone, both the jasmine and the lantana and that they had only stuck those displays there in the perennial plants section for lack of somewhere else to put them. i was soooo disappointed!! i still bought one because i just love lantana (i lived in las vegas nevada for 7 years and had huge lantanas growing as shrubs). it's very easy for a person to be confused as to what's perennial/annual when the nursery themselves has annuals displayed in a dedicated perennial area of their store! i am going to try what bill said about taking cuttings and trying to grow them inside the house for the winter.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    19 years ago

Yeah, those are like Zone 8 (with alot of protection) - Zone 10 plants and I have seen them grown in hanging baskets (easier to bring inside). They ARE gorgeous though. I almost bought one myself earlier this month when I saw them at a nearby nursery.

• Lily316
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I knew nothing about Lantana except I recognized it and like the look. I agree w/ jiggeen about positioning them w/ the perennials so dummies like me would buy them. If I cut it to the ground and cover it w/ cone shaped insulated plant protectors..would that work? I went back the next day and talked to a guy and he said basically what you all said...cuttings or bring it inside. But then he said it wouldn't live past Jan inside..Big help he was!

• Bill_zone6
    19 years ago

When cuttings are used they tend to become large and cumbersome. In January take cuttings from the original cuttings.

• tomn66
    19 years ago

I bought a Lantana Confetti this spring. Would I be able to take a cutting of this and grow it indoors? If so what do you plant the cutting in? Do you put it in water until roots form or do you put it directly in potting soil?

• peggy1155
    19 years ago

Well, this is depressing!!! I bought one last month, Rose White Bicolor. I bought it because it was in the perennial section and it's so pretty and doing so well in the garden. After reading this posting I dug out the tag (which, of course, I neglected to read when I bought it!) and it says Hardy to 32F. :( I'm wondering if I bring it in and put it in the basement, or cover it and put it in our screened in porch? I'll take cuttings just in case.

Drat!!

• azzelda
    19 years ago

I have a lantana that is 5 years old that has survived being overwintered indoors. It was a housewarming present when I moved into an apt with a balcony. When fall came, I liked the plant a lot and decided to bring the pot in. It continued blooming through the winter! It is now in a much larger pot and I prune it drastically in the spring and fall. It gets BIG. Hummingbirds love it. Good luck!

• Lily316
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I think I might do just that...dig it up in the fall and plant it in a big pot and take to a sunny south window. Beats watching it die !

• rivers1202
    19 years ago

It defoliates here in zone 8 and goes dormant, but comes back every year with a vengence. We do have below-freezing temps....mostly in the 20's and teens. We never provide protection but they still re-bound year after year and they get enormous. I'd think the snow in your zone would provide some sort of buffer against the roots freezing. Otherwise, you'd probably be better off over-wintering it in a greenhouse.

• bulbs
    19 years ago

Well, I planted some seeds (winter sowed) in January - sure hope to get some good results. I like the messages above.

• seventowers
    19 years ago

I brought my lantana inside for the winter, I found them to be very easy , forgiving when I negleted to water , and the plant survived 1 month of sparse light until I could find a home for it .

I have the newer patriot series , and I love them , they are so much nicer than the older stretchy type of 15 years ago .
    My lantana in the garden are just stubs of wood , but the roots appear not to have rotted yet because I tried pulling the stubs out and there is much resistance ..

• mombo
    19 years ago

I love lantana. They are my favorite "annual". How often do you see one flower with so many different colors on the same bloom? I have had great success with the dwarf type and the standard. In the fall I let Jack Frost take them to the compost pile.

• witsend22
    19 years ago

wintered mine over this year and it lost its leaves and died back so I left it in the basement with minimal water until Feb. Then I increased the water and placed it under light along with raising the temp to about 60 down there. It has now leafed out and is looking very healthy but I still bring it in at night.

• Rake4Leaves
    15 years ago

I realize that this is an old thread. I fell hard for a lantana (mozelle),
    so pretty in pink and yellow.
    I was swayed by a nursery's deal for reduced prices in the "perennial"
    section. Came home to research its hardiness, and learned that
    it is considered an annual for this zone 6. Drats!
    On the phone, the nursery said there was a sign stating this,
    but I did not see it at all.

So, what can I do for the winter, to try to keep it alive
    or dormant, and hopefully replant it in the spring?
    Put it into a pot? Can I prune its branches to be
    a smaller plant for a pot?
    Water it how often? Our basement is not warm at all,
    so it will have to be placed somewhere in our small house.
    How much light will it need?

I also read about getting seeds from it. How does one
    harvest the seeds, if this can be done?

Thank you for any guidance on this.
    Meanwhile, it will be certainly enjoyed, in the large pot it
    was transplanted in.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting