Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gazania_gw

Chiggers in PA gardens?

gazania_gw
18 years ago

In the last week I have been suffering from a dozen or so 'bites' on my legs. The itching is sooo intense. While working in my shrubs/flowes I have been aware of many sudden 'stings', but saw nothing that appeared to cause them. After about 24 hours the dime sized red marks with a tiny blister in the center appears in areas where I remembered feeling the subtle 'stings'. In doing a web search, I have identified this problem as likely being 'chigger' bites. For some reason I always thought that chiggers were a problem in the South. Anyone of you in PA know anything about Chiggers in PA.

Comments (6)

• bulldinkie
    18 years ago

yes years ago the kids and I went to pick raspberries wild..We got dozens chigger bites but the problem we have are the darn black & white winged flys and young horse flys when they bite ya know it.

• FourSeasons
    18 years ago

Well..hubby and I are now renting a home in Pennsylvania after living in Missouri the past 3 years. I got to know chiggers really well and can tell you that I never knew when I was being bit until it was too late...like the next day or so. They are sneaky and you suffer for it later...People have told me there are chiggers in Pennsylvania but thankfully I haven't found them yet :)

In Missouri, whenever I felt a subtle "sting" and got an itch the next day it was mostly from those "no-see-em's." Sometimes I swear they are worse than chigger bites. You can get bit by them just sitting on your porch!

I now have the same problem bulldinkie described...One of those black & white winged flies got into the house on Monday and bit me and today it itches like crazy!

• castanea
    18 years ago

A friend of mine said they have them in Cincinnati, OH. I grew up in NE New Jersey(zone 6b),and we never had them there. I've lived in the Catskills in NY State & they aren't there either. I now live in NE Pennsylvania and they aren't around here either. But, of course, we have other pests to take up the slack!

• gazania_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This is my first experience with these 'chiggers' and I don't like it! We have lived here just north of Pittsburgh for 6 years. I am a native Pennsylvanian, but spent 35 years in Ohio and Michigan before retiring 'back home'. Mosquitoes in Ohio were really bad, and the black flies in Michigan were worse. I don't have either of them here, but right now I would trade my chiggers for black flies and mosquitoes in a heartbeat! No, on second thought, no mosquitoes means that I can sit out on my porch in the evening and enjoy the sights and sounds of my garden, while scratching my chigger bites!

• geoforce
    18 years ago

Worst biters I've found around here are the ones my native (lived in PA since childhood) friends call 'deer flies'. These are little delta winged critters with white wing tips and the have both instant ouch and persistant itch value far beyond what you would imagine from their size. Don't know if this is what is being referred to as 'black flies' above or not. We have very few horse flies in our area, and a jillion annoying but not biting mushroom flies.

• cnace01
    7 years ago

My daughter had 1 red spot above her waistline and I shrugged it off. Now she has 2 spots and they're itchy. I had chigger bites when visiting Myrtle Beach and these look just like them! I'm treating her with Pain Oil I got in an Amish community which worked like a charm to get rid of mine. I think with the changing Eco system, we're likely to see more in PA.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022