Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyberianblonde

It was just a bad dream right?

cyberianblonde
17 years ago

ok....I'll just go back to sleep and when I wake up it will all have just been a nightmare right?

I was watering my roses this morning and I saw them.

The dreaded, the disgusting, defoliating, and rose decapitating devil beetle.

Yep they're here in Lower Bucks Co. I'm in Bensalem.

Shut the blinds, hide the kids and the dog. It ain't gonna be pretty.

This is sooooo discouraging. Just when my roses are flushing in all their wildly colorful and fragrant glory.

I'm rummaging around in the garage as we speak for my hazmat gear. This is war!

Last year I was too squeamish to squish.....but not anymore. I have a lot of new rosebushes and I will not surrender them to those horrible creatures.

Oh and guess what else I've discovered. A delightful little creature called a rose slug. Ewwwwwwwwww...just like the big guys only very tiny but still it sickened me. Is that what's been eating my rose leaves and NOW the JB's?

So today is a two-fer. Lucky ME!!!

And while I'm whining I have an abcessed tooth and I'm looking down the barrel of another surgery.

My gardening is where I go to get away from things that are bothering me. And now this?

Oh well.....other than that everything here in Bucks is hunky dory.

Whew....now that THAT's out of my system I'm gonna feel better right?

Sorry for the rant I'm usually very upbeat.

Just wanted to warn everyone be on the lookout and happy gardening!!

No, I mean it.... really!

Enjoy the sunshine!

Becky

Comments (2)

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

Hi Becky,

I'm just around the corner from you and so far I haven't seeen a JB.

Of course with this heat I don't wander around the roses very often. I usually stay in the AC when it is this hot.I'm a fair-weather gardener--LOL

I have a problem with "skeeters"---they love me and the bites burn for a long time.

I was hoping we could get together while the roses were blooming but it has been a busy summer---graduations---etc.

You are more than welcome to cuttings of any roses I have.

Sounds like your roses were doing well befor the JB's

Florence

• cyberianblonde
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Florence,
    Your very kind words had such a calming soothing effect on me.
    I read your message and literally said out loud....awwwwwww....thank you so much for turning my day around. Sometimes all it takes is just a very small kindness. I promise I will pay it forward to someone else today.
    PLEASE please let me know if there are any get-togethers.The problem is I too have a very very busy summer myself tho. Can you believe 3 weddings, 3 engagement parties, 4 bridal showers and I'm a bridesmaid too?..whew...so I completely understand.
    I truly love reading your posts and seeing your lovely roses. I always know I'm gonna smile when I see you here or in the rose forum.
    Please have a blessed rosey day.
    Becky