Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threedogsmom_gw

Adams county garden group ?

threedogsmom
16 years ago

Is there any interest in starting an Adams county garden group/club ? I think the people on Gardenweb are more passionate about gardening and plants than those found in your typical/local garden clubs. I think it would be nice to have a group of people who are willing to host a "garden party" once a month, to show off their garden to the group and provide light refreshments. We could plan shopping trips to nurseries that are a bit far away, and plan to visit different botanical gardens/garden tours throughout the year. We could also host a plant swap for Adams county once a year. Very informal, just people with a common love of plants and interest in garden design, willing to help each other with advice and enjoy the company of friends in a garden backdrop. It would be good to keep the group small, so host costs wouldn't go through the roof (10 ppl max).

Is there any interest from anyone ?? I live in Carroll Valley btw.

Amy

Comments (8)

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    16 years ago

Amy,
    Hi. I do a lot of gardening at my farmhouse north of Biglerville. I haven't really seen a lot of posts from people in Adams County on this forum. There is a small group in my neighborhood that does a yearly plant swap though I haven't participated.

I actually live in Carroll County Maryland and belong to a Federated Garden Club there which does the very things that you are interested in. Under pagardenclubs.org, our Adams County area is part of District 4 for the PA version.

What you are suggesting sounds nice but I don't know that I could host much since our farmhouse in PA is a major fixer upper and not ready for company. I do have a lot of fun with my veg and flower gardens though this is only my second year and I'm trying out a lot of things--no doubt will have to move a lot of plants later!

Perhaps some people will come out of the woodwork on this forum who live in the Adams County area. I'm always game to meet new gardening friends from either state!

• wolfe15136
    16 years ago

I live in Pgh, but I work in Adams County in the summers. I'm a garden junkie, and would love to participate, but since I have no address there, I can't host anything.

• fayeraven
    16 years ago

Just finding you all--newbie to garden forum. I'd be interested in most anything, even hosting. I am just southeast of Waynesboro in Cascade, MD... maybe I can't cuz this is named Adams county???

• treehugger101
    10 years ago

Well, I found this post about 6 years too late maybe??? I am in Adams County looking for local garden swaps here or near Westminster, MD. Any ideas, folks?

• bulldinkie
    10 years ago

Im from Adams co but I cant now I go for dialysis3xs a week I need a kidney..Wish I could

• dwarcholak
    8 years ago

we live between Biglerville and York springs and have over the years developed extensive gardens including a koi pond around our home. we would be very interested in a local garden club. tom and deb

• threedogsmom
    8 years ago

I was surprised to see this thread open again! Since we never got to meet in person, how about a virtual tour of your gardens posted here instead? Anyone interested?

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Ah, this is indeed a resurrected thread! I'm a couple miles north of Biglerville. As it happens, I am actually in the process of working on my PA garden (still a fixer upper!!!) to host a tour for my Maryland (Carroll) garden club in August.--first Wednesday. It is quite a daunting prospect given the current weeds that have infiltrated and I am quite exhausted. Having country gardens is a different thing than the suburban yards that at least have some sort controls on their borders imposed by neighbor's lots. In the countryside, Mother Nature is always taking back and sending in the invading thugs!

Dwarcholak, it would be fun to visit your garden-- as described it sounds nice! Yesterday, our club had a tour of a suburban yard--a plant collector with 1/2 acre lot and "garden rooms". He had a lot of shady areas with mature perennials (35 years of working on his yard), a koi pond near his patio and lots of potted plants. He likes Asian perennials and propagates much of his own stuff to plant.

The thing about club tours is that we are in it to learn--people talk about their mistakes made, trials and failures--sometimes most evident. Many people are intimidated because some people really have smashing gardens and they go all out, get help to prepare for the tour or have worked diligently on the same one for years. Not everyone can do that or has achieved what they are striving for ( for many reasons)--so they don't have anyone come see their efforts. Not all tours are for showing off, they are to show PROGRESS in a forward direction. People like to see what changes are made over time from revisiting. I was one of the last holdouts because it's a drive to get to my place, but also it isn't manicured like the suburban lots. It's hard for me to keep up because I don't live there year round. And I'm still working on the old house!!!

There is a Federated Garden Club that meets in Biglerville at the library, by the way. They meet up with the Gettysburg garden club (some belong to both). For a short time 2 years ago, I was in the G'burg club, but I was also the new President of Carroll GC--the job reqs were overwhelming so I dropped out of G-burg for the duration.

I would like to meet some friends that know the PA area-- visit the nurseries or professional gardens like Longwood, etc as well as locals who show what they are working on and give tips. Anyone ever been to "Hosta Hideaway"? Let me know if you want to meet up. I'm in PA half the week or more, typically. You can come to the official tour (10 am) Anyone on FB?

Sponsored