Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
witsend22

trying to care for yard in this 'weather'

witsend22
18 years ago

I made it back from California and Arizona just in time for this heat wave. Went from 100 plus temps to high humidity and misery. It has taken a week for me to catch up on the mowing and some of the weeding. Seems everytime it cools off enough to head outdoors, it starts with the thundering and lightning and there is no way I'm able to work in the mid day heat.

The good thing is all these short thunder boomers and the warm day and night temperatures have made things grow. Up here in the mountains where it is cooler than some of the low lands things dont bloom as early, but this weather hit at the right time to boost the bloom. The clematis just opened the first buds this week but is loaded with buds and the roses opened first blooms last week. They are twice a large as last years flowers. But I wish it would cool off enough that I could just go out and stay there to enjoy it.

Comments (11)

• wolfe15136
    18 years ago

My garden is a mess! No rain for weeks, plus the high temperatures! We get thunder, wind, and even lightening, but no rain.

I was away for three days, and came back to LOTS of dead plants.

Sigh....

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

A cold front is coming and the temps should drop back to the 70s by Thursday. Hang on!

• chescobob
    18 years ago

That may not be soon enough for me. I will have to do serious watering of plants this evening. No rain and the temperatures in the 90s or near that for the past week in SEPA. Maybe western PA will get some storms this evening.

• wolfe15136
    18 years ago

Ha! Well that was pointless. For about 20 minutes the wind blew every which way, the power flickered on and off, and we got about a hundred drops of rain.

Now, utter stillness. Guess I'd better go get the hose out.

Again.

• Nur_Misur
    18 years ago

Rain is on it's way across the state now.. just hit the southwestern corner...hopefully makes it pass the mountains and continues for the remainder of the state...

• bulldinkie
    18 years ago

Same here cleaned all flower bedsI have alot .Mulched thought I was done for awhile oh no wishful thinking looks like I didnt do anything.and poison,
    ivy & oak everywhere, I think it was in the mulch.

• witsend22
    Original Author
    18 years ago

so glad I have not found poison oak or ivy here in the yard. love this cooler weather, It's gonna be in the 50s at night before the week is out wooo hooo might have to go sleep on the porch

• susan6
    18 years ago

I can't remember a more difficult spring for getting things done and the weeds are winning this year. During those beautiful two weeks we had I sprayed for weeds at the ideal moment, but evidently the weedkiller had deteriorated and it didn't work. We haven't had a time without the threat of rain since then! But does it rain enough? Of course not. Notice the pulmonaria in the front has mildew, the PJM Olgas have scale all over them and the scarlet honeysuckle was attacked by aphids that nearly killed it in one day (and I never get aphids). I ordered 5 yds. of compost so I could add it to some of the beds that need it just in time for the heat wave. Not fun dragging a wheelbarrow uphill and up steps in 90 degree weather so I didn't get much done. Guess it's time for grubs and lawn fungus...and maybe a plague of locusts. Forgot. That was last year.

• witsend22
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Awe such a nice day today not too hot not too cold all the storms missed the house. Too bad I wasn't home to get anything done in the yard.

Susan don't reming me about those dive bombing bugs. Was so bad everytime I went outside I'd have at least one zap into me.

Looks like a couple of nice days ahead here, maybe I can get caught up on the weeding. Nope not gonna happen... bass season opens this weekend.

• Pipersville_Carol
    18 years ago

This past weekend was blissfully free of obligations, so I was able to spend it in the garden.

I did lots of weeding... the soil is dry as dust. We haven't had a decent rain in at least two weeks, so I had a trickling hose on the new trees, with a timer set to remind me to move it to a new tree every twenty minutes. I sprinked the beds a bit, but am a stingy waterer.

The heat wave seems to have rushed many plants along... my climbing roses bloomed very suddenly and are fading already, and the monarda is showing color, which it doesn't usually do until July.

So far, though, the garden is having a very pretty year.

• shadylady_pa
    18 years ago

I'm loving the weather now. The spring was so difficult with the cold, all of our obligations, and my back strain (which I'm convinced now has something to do with either laundry or weed-whacking Garlic Mustard - both dastardly jobs). I have been out the past few days spraying for weeds and poison ivy (we had none for years, and all of the sudden this year there is an EXPLOSION of it on our property this year).

I've done tons of planting and a little bit of moving things around - only the most critical things, and I'm having a ball!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES