Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta on Clearance Rack...

Posted by dicentra z6B (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 07 at 9:13

Well, finally my timing made out to find prime hosta plants on the Lowes clearance rack (Whitman Plaza)...lol. I was in the store for something else, really, and I had to check out the garden section. To my surprise, they had big beautiful named hostas for $1.00 each in 2.75 qt. pots! OK, so they weren't five cents this time, but they were well worth the dollar to me. They were in prime shape, except for maybe a bent leaf, and some were 2 foot high. Although some varieties are older, they just shimmered in beauty with the raindrops over them...blues, chartreusses, gold standards, variegated...some of the ones I picked up were Patriot, Pilgrim, Gold Standard, Frances Williams (took 12 of these), Wide Brim, Mediovariegata, and some deeper blue ones I can't recall right now. Happy hunting...lol.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta on Clearance Rack...

Be extremely cautious about planting anything from Lowe's near your existing hostas. Many of their plants are infected with Hosta Virus X which is easily transmitted. Gold Standard is particularly notorious.

Please read the following:

Here is a link that might be useful: hosta virus x info

o

I also love a bargain and have been able to pick up clematis for $1.oo a piece at Lowes last year. But caliloo is correct. I have seen hosta (Gold Standard) infected at Lowes last year and this year. Keep an eye on them.

o

Thanks for the head's up. I keep most things aside for a year for that reason. My TLC area has recovering plants, shrubs and trees which have different needs. I finally cleared out my lilac bushes and roses from last year and got them planted. I'm going to keep an eye out for the clearance clematis vines now...lol.

o

Jeez, I hadn't heard of that Hosta virus. I never quarantine new plants.

o

The hostas were swept up when I returned to get more.....drats! I'm finding that everyday is a new clearance surprise at Lowes. Yesterday, I picked up some shrubs and 6 large containers of Tropicanna canna for $1.00 each. They also had the usual annuals for $0.05, like sweet potato vine (both colors), impatiens, purple fountain grass, petunias, bacopa, and some other things. I have to say that Lowes has been looking pretty good so far this season, with keeping plants watered and the nursery looking alive and abundant (other than their tree section). I hope they can keep it up throughout the summer.

o

You go girl!! I stopped at the Lowes in my area today and not much was on clearance. The tropicanna canna is beautiful, and still selling for $12.98. I have had my eye on them. What a great deal!!

o

Dicentra,

I went there that afternoon also. I picked up about eight myself. I went right after work and went back later to get more. They had another 30-40 when I left. In two hours, they were gone! Someone got a real good steal there!

I also got a five gallon pot of Elephant Ears for $1.00!

If these are infected with that virus, how do you treat it and what does it look like?

o

It is untreatable and spreads very easily. If you click the link I posted you can see several photos.

Alexa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here