Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chescobob

Devil Beetle Alert -- Let Us Know When They Arrive

chescobob
17 years ago

No devil (japanese) beetles yet. However, I have been reading some posts from the southern states about their arrival there. We should have about 3 weeks before they reach here.

Please let us know when you have spotted any devil beetles. I have my black plastic bags ready for "bakin' beetles."

Death, pain, and misery to devil beetles!

Comments (16)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

Oh gosh. I don't even want to think about those terrors. There were so many last year and with the mild winter this year, I'm afraid..... sore afraid.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    17 years ago

I have so many spider mites already this summer, they are my devil bug....... I guess it's a combo of warm winter and very dry spring.

Just a few of the devil beetles last summer. I wonder why.... not too many steroid green lawns around, maybe that's got something to do with it? Or maybe I just haven't planted enough attractive food plants....my loss right?

• westhighlandblue
    17 years ago

Has anyone tried using Heterohabditis Nematodes in their fight against Japanese Beetles?

I am tempted to give them a try. I've also read that Steinernema Carpocapsae Nematodes will cut down on the number of fleas and house flys.

• pghgardnewbie
    17 years ago

westhighlandblue,
    I had(have?) grubs in my tiny backyard, and I used nematodes to control them. I haven't dug into the soil to investigate, but I hope that they have done their job. There are still a lot of patches in the soil (we raked up most of the grass last fall, but didn't know why), but with the recent rain, it almost seems to be filling in again. I can't re-seed until the fall anyway, but I hope it gets healthy enough to support the new seeds.
    I bought mine from GardensAlive.com. They came very quickly. I wouldn't know the species type offhand, but they are specific for the Northern Climate. HTH.

On topic: as to the other beetles, I am just going to pretend I don't see them. Any of them.

• westhighlandblue
    17 years ago

Thanks, newbie. I think I'll give them a try.

• chescobob
    Original Author
    17 years ago

First Devil Beetle found.

I was deadheading my roses and got to my Toulouse Lautrec--second to last--without fininding any devil beetles. However, I did find one Japanese (devil) beetle in a bloom of the Toulouse Lautrec.

x?##$%$##

• floragal
    17 years ago

LOL!! Here I was thinking, gawd, enough trouble with the japanese beetles, now I have to worry about DEVIL beetles. What next!! LOL!

Haven't seen any here yet, but they were definitely active by this time last year. DH spends many an afternoon gleefully picking and drowning the nast critters; he's pretty protective of his roses. Unfortunately, they all come from the neighbors' 3 acre non-treated lawn. We'll never win the battle, but the more beetles we kill, the less eggs to hatch for next years' deluge.

• caliloo
    17 years ago

I found my first one today too!

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I was out deadheading roses and there was one hiding in Perle d'Or.

YYYYYYUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

I HATE HATE HATE those things!

Alexa

• chescobob
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Two more were munching on my Sunsprite. That makes 2 yellow roses they were eating. They arrived about 1 week earlier than last year in SW Chester County.

?$$##?@ devil beetles.

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

I guess I better brave the heat and run out with my soapy water.

If you guys all have JB's I must have them too.

It is the "skeeters" that drive me crazy and then the bites hurt for a long time----

Florence

• jfit
    17 years ago

They're here in S. Williamsport in FULL FORCE> I can't find a beetle trap anywhere. I'm new to PA, and new to any gardening woes. Someone told me that I don't have to worry, my trees and plants won't be killed from the beetles. Is that true. A big tree in front has leaves turning to lace. My pink rose looks like a nightmare movie scene. HELP!!!

• lynn_d
    17 years ago

They hit here in Johnstown too! Found them last Monday, they are devouring my weeping cherry and Harry Lauder Walking Stick. I hate them!

• chescobob
    Original Author
    17 years ago

After 4 weeks of massive feeding, the piggish devil beetles are still here in strength.

• blueheron
    17 years ago

See my solution to JB's in the thread, "Should I Give UP?"

• koke
    17 years ago

Mine were here last month around the 28th,29th,came home to find my Mt. Ash tree all lacey on the top half.I was so upset about that since my Mt. Ash is one of my favorites! I knew they were around but up until then,they were only a few. They must have known that we'd be out of town and they moved in fast.I am so glad they didn't find my Crepe Myrtle,only a few were muching on that. Ugh ! I really,really hate them! My Crepe is just about starting to bloom and I was in a state of panic earlier this week when I spotted a few on it.Last year was the worst for the Crepe. The Weeping Cherry is holding its own. But,my poor Mt. Ash looks so sad! I still have a few hanging around but I am hoping they are finished for this year. here's hoping! Koke

• chescobob
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Now they are swallowing my clethra. I haven't had a rose bloom since June. My Kwanzan cherry has no leaves on its top branches and my weeping peach is sobbing.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths