Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flower or Weed?

Posted by JohnFromPerryCoPA zone 6 scPA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 14, 05 at 9:20

This year a "volunteer" that could be a weed showed up in my flower beds. I know a picture is worth a 1000 words, but I will try to describe this interesting plant in less. The foliage is a blue-green - somewhat like that of a carnation (we did have carnations planted in the area in the past). The foliage is tall - perhaps 18-24 inches. At the end of the flower stalks is an elongated capsule that opens to a nice yellow flower - somewhat like a dandelion flower. When the flower goes to seed, it forms a 3-inch fluff-puff ball similar to a dandelion seed ball which the wind will break apart to spread. Could it be one of the parent plants of the blue carnations, if the carnation was a hybrid? The plant is interesting and unusual with the blue-green foliage, the yellow flowers and the large, puffy seed ball. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flower or Weed?

Sounds like giant goatsbeard (Tragopogon Major) or salsify (Tragopogon porrifolius) both look like that. The giant puffballs are nice in dried arrangements whae sprayed with hair spray to keep them intact.

George

o

Very interesting. Thanks George! Here is a response (a quick one as well) from the National Home Gargening Club (NHGC) website Flower Forum:

What you have is a wild flower called "meadow salsify" or "yellow goatsbeard", sometimes called John-go-to-bed-at-noon because the flower head closes at midday. The greek generic name is TRAPOPOGON. I like them very much.

o

I have had this in my garden for several years. When the first one appeared, I loved it, even encouraged it--but it is just too happy in my garden and has since tried to take over. Now, I pull it out every time I see it starting to come up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here