Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
who is snacking on my MGs?

Posted by Mykarma philly burbs (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 14, 05 at 9:39

Something is munching on my morning glory and sweet potato vine leaves, leaving small oval holes. This morning I've sprayed the damaged plants with organic insect-killing soap. Any suggestions who the culprits might be? Do you think the spray will be effective? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: who is snacking on my MGs?

Holes in the middle of the leaf sounds like slug damage. They won't climb very high, so once the Morning Glory vines get several inches tall (assuming they are climbing something) they will be OK. I don't know how effective soap is for slugs.

Alex

o

Thanks, Alex, but slugs I doubt--some of the affected leaves are several feet off the ground (yeah, they're climbing). I am so ignorant about bug damage. Are holes like this what aphids do?

o

• Posted by Treehgr z6/N. BUCKS, PA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 14, 05 at 12:34

It is probably flea beetles. I have the same problem with my morning glory. They are a problem this time of year. The damage is mostly aesthetic; won't hurt the plant much unless you have a really bad infestation and then you may get stunted growth. The beetles usually go away by summer, no spray needed.

Aphids are sucking insects. They would cause the leaves to wilt in direct sunlight--plus you'd see them on the plants (green, or black soft bodied insects--yuck).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here