Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden_grammie

50+ year old Oak Tree Suddenly appears dying

garden_grammie
18 years ago

A beautiful Oak tree that Is at least 50 years old seems to be drying up and dying.

All the leaves are turning brown and look dead. This tree is at least 100 ft tall and located on the front of my lawn.

I just noticed it yesterday. No leaves have fallen, that is why it was such a shock to see this. I have other trees, 2 maples, beech, tulip and numerous dogwood that look perfectly fine.

I have a tree man coming in hopefully today to look at it.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

How upsetting!

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

We live outside Philadelphia in Chester County. I have another huge oak in the backyard that looks perfectly healthy.

Comments (10)

• Kathy46
    18 years ago

I too have a lovely old oak in Delaware County.

We lost 2 tulip polars several years ago because carpenter ants infested them. I hope you can save it. I would be heartbroken to lose my oak. Have you checked with an arborist ?
    Kathy

• Kathy46
    18 years ago

Sween,

That was a great article ...Thanks
    Kathy

• garden_grammie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks so much Sween for the info.
    The tree man is one in the neighborhood that we have used in the past.
    I will let you know what happens.

• sween
    18 years ago

You're all more than welcome. Sorry for repeating myself here, but I have to again stress that we are very much pro-tree. It's just that we've learned the hard way that you cannot peacefully (and safely) co-exist with all trees. I guess we also need to remember that no tree lives forever. Despite that, you might find it interesting that we have several silver maples in our neighborhood that arborists claim date back to Revolutionary times. These trees are so enormous that, should one of them come down in a storm, it's frightening to think the damage they'd do.

• garden_grammie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The tree man was just here and he said bores have gotten into the tree as well as carpenter ants. Before he cuts down the tree he has to kill the bugs so they don't go to my other trees. He said if he doesn't kill the queen the insects would just move on to my dogwoods and poplars. What a mess!!! I am sure this is going to cost a pretty penny but I have to make sure I don't lose any other trees.
    He also looked at my grass and told me I have grubs! I put down Grubex in April, but he said I should now make an application of Scotts Step Three. It seems to be a bumper ear for bugs!!!!!!! Ugh!!!

• shadylady_pa
    18 years ago

Oh, that's too bad. I'm glad you posted this because I just realized yesterday that one of our dogwoods is dead except for one limb. I am really upset. And my father was here a few weeks ago and told me he thought one of our Oaks looked like it was dying. I kind of brushed it off, but now I think maybe we need to get a tree person out here. I wish I had the money to do so!

• bulldinkie
    18 years ago

Ours is also old ,big.Lightening struck ours about 10 years ago its dying slowly.We had tree expert out he said it will die now.

• aka_peggy
    18 years ago

Be aware of "sudden oak death."

Here is a link that might be useful: SOD

• garden_grammie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks so much for the link to SOD. I will carefully read the articles posted. I had at first thought of Sudden Oak Death but the articles made me think it was just on the west coast. I hope it is not that disease. It would be horrific to have all are beautiful oak trees in danger.

Sponsored