Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
habrob

Horseradish?

HabRob
18 years ago

Anyone know if its too late to grow horseradish for this season or will I have to wait till fall to plant for next year? I know it can be an invasive plant and plan on growing in a plastic trash can. Thanks.

Comments (11)

• Pipersville_Carol
    18 years ago

I"ve got it growing in my veggie garden, and it hasn't gotten invasive in the three years I've had it. It's become a large plant but hasn't spread. Seems like a sturdy plant, I'd guess it would survive summer planting if you kept it well watered. I've never harvested the roots, but have read it should be done in the spring. You could always give it a try now and see how it goes, can't hurt.

• llangrove
    18 years ago

I've grown horseradish for many years. I agree, you can plant it now if you keep it watered. Make certain the soil drains properly. I moved last summer and so did my horseradish roots. They didn't like the area where I replanted them; this Spring when I dug them up, many of the roots were rotted.

Mine are planted in a large bottomless plastic pot. If the roots "escape" they can become a problem!

In our area horseradish is traditionaly harvested the week before Easter. Homemade has a wonderful and more pungent taste than what you buy in a super market. But the grating process is terrible on the eyes and nose. It really opens your sinuses!!!!!

• sween
    18 years ago

A lot of the older Eastern European families here in NE PA actually had a small "window" in their basement wall for grating horseradish. An individual could stand inside the cellar, while sticking their hands through this window and grate the horseradish outside. Seems like a heck of long way to go for fresh horseradish, but it was a big part of the culture at one time. Good luck!

• HabRob
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I may give it a try. I found an online source that sells roots for 9.95 but don't want to waste the time, effort or money if I can't get a harvestable size root after the first frost this year when I can just wait and order the root in the spring. Can I grow it in a 5 gallon bucket or do I need to get a larger container such as a rubber maid trash can?

• nick_17815_pa
    18 years ago

Just to add something to the note about being invasive. A neighbor offered me some last summer, and I planted it randomly in the garden. It didn't grow all that well, but it grew. Come spring time when I went to till, I totally forgot about the horseradish. So I till the garden including the spot where the horseradish was, and now it is in at least 5 different places. It is still the largest where it was originally, but a couple of the places it popped up it is doing quite well. I am debating lifting some up this summer and making something out of it, not sure if I'll get that motivated.

Loving The Summer

~NIck

• llangrove
    18 years ago

A five gallon bucket should be large enough. I suggest waiting until next year, but not harvesting until Spring 2007.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

It's your call if you want to wait or not, sure it will do better with a fall or spring planting, but in my experience it will grow anytime.... Nick did a good job describing the invasiveness, it doesn't spread on it's own, it's just that every bit of root will resprout when cut. I wonder if any of your neighbors has some you sould divide... cheaper and healthier plants than ordering.
    Good luck

• canningmom
    18 years ago

$9.95 plus S&H is alot to pay for horseradish. Your local supermarket should carry roots in the produce section. These roots sprout nicely. I did it and it works.

• pony65
    17 years ago

We're selling some property in WI, and DH dug up some of the horseradish I planted up there and brought it home -- foliage and all.

I've decided to go ahead and plant it now in a 4x4 bed, but I'm wondering if I should cut off the leaves and just plant the root, or just pop them in as is.

TIA,
    Pony!

• Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

I'd plant it as is, with the leaves. There's still some growing season left, and it might need the leaves to get nourishment.

• redhotchilipepper
    17 years ago

I didn't run into problems until I decided to move it. The part of the root right beneath the soil is white and breaks off into little pieces extremely easy and every piece will sprout if you don't pick them up. Then you've got problems!!!I've spent numerous hours trying to dig it all up. I thought I got it all and I noticed it in three places the other day. It is nice to have but can be problamatic if not contained or if you accidentally spread it like I did.A friend of my husband at work gave it to us. I said to my husband . Are you sure he likes you.lol

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022