Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mgood4u

eeeeeeerrrrrrrrr!!!!! DEER!!!!

mgood4u
18 years ago

The deer are eating a lot of my stuff this year! Last year they didn't touch much. So far I have lost 2 tall Cosmos that I grew from seeds. They were just about to bloom and now they are only stalks. They have chowed on my Rudbeckia and yesterday I found a small Hosta division pulled up out of the ground. Hopefully I can save it. Does that Deer Repellant stuff work?

Comments (33)

• mwoods
    18 years ago

Yes it does. What you have to do is change it from year to year though. Some people use a couple of differnt brands in a single season. Is there any chance you might have raccoons? They are notorious for pulling things out of the ground. I lost a Casa Blanca lily to one of those little guys earlier this spring. He just pulled the whole thing out of the ground,munched a little and then left it. Deer chomp down but as far as I know don't usually pull stuff out of the ground. The deer have been chewing on my phlox,sedum and lysimachia. I finally decided to spray for the first time and it worked like a charm.

• Flutterbyblue2
    18 years ago

Ive been lucky with sprayings of deer off items I change brands monthly. I can not bragg enough about milorganite it works wonderfully if you can get past the smell of it.
    Donna

• TRichard1966
    18 years ago

Hoping that my Mt Fuji 8' Cherry trees will recover from their bout with deer- all the leaves up to about 6' are GONE...sigh.

• daylilyaddict
    18 years ago

Same problem here in Washington, PA. They never bothered my daylilies, holly, or rhodies until this year. I begged people last Fall to come sit on my back porch and shoot them. No fun, I guess. I have been spraying Deer Fence, but if I miss one daylily bud, they eat it. A friend surrounded her yard with those metal windspinner toys, she said it worked for her, the flashing of the metal scares them. I have 10 acres !!!

• loretta5_gw
    18 years ago

The deer repellents mentioned above all work well but they are expensive. I use a mixture of 1/2 tsp seaweed to a quart of water sprayed every three days or after each rain. I've used this for years and it continues to work. Your garden will smell bad for about 10 minutes but after that only the deer can still smell it. This mixture keeps groundhogs away from seedlings also. I don't know if it works on bunnies but I don't have a rabbit problem even though I see them in the yard from time to time.

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We have 2 fat groundhogs that eat in backyard everyday. I only see them eating something in the grass. We have racoons also. I usually don't see them until garbage collection night. I blamed the Hosta on the deer because I know how much they love Hosta. This is a small division that had flowered and the bare stem was sticking up. I invisioned the deer trying to chew the stem and oops- out popped the whole plant. Today more of my yarrow chewed down to nubs. I love the idea of having wildlife in my yard and I love to watch them. But, I don't love not getting to see my plants bloom!!!! So, thanks for the suggestions I will try the sprays.

Daylilyaddict~ that's a lot of windspinners! :)

• daylilyaddict
    18 years ago

Loretta, where do you get seaweed in PA ???

• bobntess
    18 years ago

The Contech Scarecrow has worked great for me, but it depends on the area you want to protect. I have an Island inside a circular driveway that has shrubs and many different flowers/plants. The deer were feasting on certain plants, killing some and keeping others from maturing, till I put the Scarecrow in. Now the island is beautiful with all plants growing and blooming with only an occasional nibble at the very edges.
    The main drawback is the need for a water source to operate, but once that is done there is no monthly spraying or attention needed. Also very amusing to see the deer sneak up and get scared by the spray - but this only has to happen a few times and they seem to avoid the area.
    Bob

• loretta5_gw
    18 years ago

Daylilyaddict. I order my seaweed from Gardens Alive. They are on the web at gardensalive.com. I don't remember the cost but I've used it for 3-4 yeas and still have some left.

• micamom
    18 years ago

Here in NJ we are having results with Deer Out. It smells like mint. I bought a gallon of the concentrate and applied it at the beginning of May after taking off the winter deer netting. The deer are not munching on the shrubs. And the shrubs are beginning to leaf out again.

Go to deerout.com to learn more. It works for me!

• geoforce
    18 years ago

I would like to say that the deer have decimated my garden this year, but the term decimated implies that it has been reduced to 1/10 its usual. I don't think there is a term milliated, which would imply reduced to 1/1000 but that would be more accurate.

I have around 800 varieties of daylilies, many in large clumps, and right now is full mid season bloom. I should be seeing around 4-5000 blooms a day. This morning I counted 6 blooms in my main beds. From the remaining buds I can find I doubt there will be a total of 100 blooms in my beds this year versus the 40-50000 I should get. As of this week, the only plants they haven't eaten the flowers from are stachys and foxglove. Many of my hosta are reduced to bare stalks with neither flowers nor leaves remaining, I'm looking around to install a deer fence, but it is too late for this year. The repellants stopped working after less than 2 weeks even though they were reapplied after rain.

George

• RodeoSquirrel
    18 years ago

someone ate one of my dawn redwoods. i blamed the UPS man, well no not that he ate it lol but that he must have stepped on it, but a closer look and it looks like nibble marks. well it was a young tree only about 2 feet high. will it come back to life? is it dead? my trio has been broken up :o(

• woodthrush
    18 years ago

Wow, Geoforce, your post breaks my heart. So many lilies.
    We have found the fencing is the only thing that works here. Deer follow a center 'trail' as they browse, the fence will break their routine.
    Pam

• naturenut_pa
    18 years ago

this spring, i was amazed and thrilled to see portulaca (i think it's also called "moss rose"?) growing. this is the first time in 10 years that i have ever seen this plant flower from one year to the next. this is the only annual that i have never had qualms about buying every year, because i just love it, and it is impossible to collect the seed.

as of this past weekend, most of it is gone, just some tatters remaining among the hoof marks in the soil.

i might also mention that this occured within 2' of the house, this is where i grow plants that aren't deer resistant. i never thought they would come right up to the house.

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have noticed that they have got more and more bold. Some of my stuff was chewed right next to my house! They used to stay in the back, now they must be traveling up to the front. I got some spray but my DH made me return it because we can't afford ot right now. :( EEEERRRRR! But as soon as he gets paid I'm getting it again! I have put out some rubber snakes and wind spinners though. Last year I came home to see a buck eating grass right on our front lawn at about 10:00 pm. It was a sight to see.But, last year I did't have very many goodies for them. This year they have a smorgasborg!

• lcdesign
    18 years ago

I've tried Liquid Fence and all those other smelly repellents. They work fine, but timing them around rain always screwed me up. I went back to work full time recently and had to learn to multitask, so now I'm brushing my constantly shedding lab mix out in the garden. The dog hair really works!

Leslie

• marcia_m
    18 years ago

Deer are why I have a 6 foot fence around some of my garden.
    {{gwi:1109786}}

Deer on the outside--plants and me on the inside!

• woodthrush
    18 years ago

Naturenut - the deer not only came right up close to the house, they came up on the front porch and tasted my cannas.
    My DH built a gate to close off the porch now too. It's a never ending battle.
    Of course, then there was the night this spring, I was sitting here at the computer and a bear came right up to the window and tore down the birdfeeder I have hanging there. - lol
    Pam
    Pam

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

LOL Pam, sounds like a people zoo over there. You are the one caged up and the animals have the run of the place.

I hope the deer don't get downtown too fast. I've seen a few nibbles here and there but the houses are close and the cover is thin so I think for now my yard is safe.

God bless you people in deer country. I would need a big expensive fence.

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ummm- can you send me some of your dog hair? lol. Wonder if cat hair will work?

Marcia-that is a really cute picture though!Cute because it is on the other side of the fence!

Woodthrush--talk about an exciting night surfing the web! lol.

• susan6
    18 years ago

We've used just about every repellent known to man, but Liquid Fence works the best here and doesn't have to be reapplied after every rain. The trick is timing it to make sure you spray as new growth occurs. We also net shrubs such as hollies and trees such as hemlocks...two of their very favorite foods. Finally was religious about spraying my Asiatic and Oriental lilies and am enjoying their blooms, along with daylilies, roses and hibiscus. Didn't succeed last year and they ate all the lilies and started eating stuff they're not supposed to like. I never had luck with hair (either human or dog). Pepperspray concentrate worked for a while as did Hare & Hound repellent. The crow thing was broken when we finally hooked it up and I was sort of glad because I knew I'd forget and I'd be the one sprayed.

Now, if I could just catch this year's groundhog...

• marcia_m
    18 years ago

Well, there are a few adantages to being in deer country--such as seeing these two frolicking--outside the fence.
    {{gwi:1109787}}

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

george,

i know you are having a problem this year, but do you have any pictures of previous years with all those blooms. i am sitting here visualizing and would love to see.

i don't have a problem where i reside with deer, but on the other end of town, those residents do. we do have them in the mountains and have been using netting. unfortunately, it seems that where ever you go, all the new construction is forcing more and more wildlife out into the open. fence!

wood, what part of the poconos are you in? i'm always hoping to see a bear, but i want to do that from a distance or from the inside of the fence.

• woodthrush
    18 years ago

I'm in Albrightsville, the southern edge of the plateau.
    Pam

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

small world pam, our mountain home is in albrightsville, off 534 in indian mountain lakes. the deer are quite plentiful and we use netting around the trees and everything else is in containers or plant boxes up on the deck.

a few weeks back i dug out about 100 rose of sharon from home and transplanted them up there. so far, so good. of course, i put salt licks around the perimeter of the property, so so far they are pretty much content with them and have been respecting our growth. i haven't done much with flowers on the ground, i'd be so afraid to lose it all at a deer party. i do watch them eating away at the undeveloped lot next door that seems to satisfy their urges, or i am just dreaming...one or the other.

i'd like to make the move up there permanently, but i feel i would have to find a new hobby because they would eat everything in sight short of fencing myself in.

• woodthrush
    18 years ago

Earthly Delights - you're practically around the corner! I'm in Towamensing Trails. Do you come up every weekend or just once in awhile?
    Pam

• karen_b
    18 years ago

When we moved to the mountains of southcentral PA (bordering Michaux) I swore we wouldn't feed the deer. Until they decimated all of the hostas and whatever else the previous owners had planted. We bought an automatic corn feeder and as long as my husband doesn't let it go empty I've relatively little damage. But!!!! All it takes is one night, just one night of no corn in the feeder for the deer to nearly clean me out. But it has shown me what they will stay away from...herbs. So I've been planting herbs around the plants they prefer. Most of the time, not always, they will only eat the part of the plant(s) farthest away from the herb so I've not been totally decimated of hostas just mostly. I've also tried another spray (1c milk, 1 egg, 1T veg oil, 1T dish detergent to 1 gallon of water) that has also helped as long as I spray it on new growth and flowers.

Regarding the milorganite, I didn't have to do much research on that stuff to not want to even handle it or want it near any water supply. And since I have a dog that likes to eat natural fertilizers I don't want that risk of him getting sick.

My last resort will be the fence, but two acres is alot of fencing.

I've always wondered do people who have to deal with deer ever get used to them? This is only my third year.

Karen

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I finally got a bottle of Liquid Fence and sprayed the heck out of my stuff. EEEWWW!!! I nearly gagged a ton of times--that stuff smells HORRIBLE! It smells like a cave of 1000 bears! lol. Hope it works-I know I wouldn't eat something that smells like that!

• RodeoSquirrel
    18 years ago

thats not a deer behind that fence
    its a Beagle!!

• Silvana
    18 years ago

I've also been using DEER OUT deer repellent for about 3 years now. All as I can say is it Works great!!!! even better than all the others mixed together...it even smells great...Minty...
    I tried all of the other products and the home made concoctions too, and have had the same complaints as everyone else.Smells horrible, washed off in rain, the deer get immune to it...etc..etc... I even mixed whatever I had left of 3 different brands and they still ate everything...
    My entire neighborhood is spraying DEER OUT, they sell it at all the garden centers in NJ

Here's there web site www.deerout.com

• elongrad97
    18 years ago

Don't even get me started on deer. I am SO over them! I have had a general respect for their presence and beauty in the past, until 2 weeks ago. The biggest buck in Chesco was standing in my trail while I was horseback riding. Neither the horse nor I saw him until the last second...and boy did he look BIG! The horse wheeled, I flew off and landed on my back. That landed me in the ER and 2 weeks later, I'm still laid up with muscle/rib bruising issues. It's time for them to go away for a while.

And more bad news...earlier this summer, I counted more than 15 buck in a nearby field. Uhhgg.

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Youch!! I am wishing you a speedy recovery! I think my dad, brother in law, and DH would be MORE than happy to come to Chesco and take care of your buck problems! lol.

• RodeoSquirrel
    18 years ago

so many people end up crippled due to horse accidents. there beautiful but are they worth it? look at poor christopher reeve. huge animals and way unpredictable