Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chescobob

its war

chescobob
18 years ago

The Japanese (devil) Beetles have attacked in SW Chester County, PA. I have been on the alert and the first (and only) casualty was Crystalline--bright white.

Here is my war plan.

A--DENY VICTORY TO THE ENEMY

1. Retreat: I have taken all blooms that are past their prime off the roses--especially on light colored roses. From experience, I have found that the devil beetles land on light colored roses first. I have few blooms left on my Crystalline, Full Sail, and Moonstone. All mature blooms on other light colored bushes were removed too.

2. Change of Position: The new position for my near blooms is in vases in the house. I have one vase filled with Double Delight. Others are filled with whites, pinks, and some reds.

3. Guard the Rear Position: Again from experience, the devil beetles tend to miss dark reds--at least initially. Mr. Lincoln, Oklahoma, and Veteran's Honor are maintaining their position in the rose bed.

B--OFFENSE

1. I will buy Seven today and spray tomorrow.

C--WARNING TO DEVIL BUNNIES

1. I've seen you peeking out of the woods and looking towards my rose bed. DON'T DO IT. I'm not distracted by the devil beetles. I've been waiting for them. I know the woods can be a dangerous place and you like the taste of roses. I can assure you my yard and, especially my roses, are a very dangerous place. If I see you, I will attack (stone throwing) without further warning.

Comments (11)

• Lavinia2
    18 years ago

I am all in favor of WAR against devil bugs....etc. But throwing rocks at the bunnies?!! Why not plant another garden with snacks that the bunnies like even better than the roses...or will that just bring more bunnies? Now, if the bunnies could be talked into eating the devil bugs, you'd have it made. (A good fantasy life is a wonderful thing)

• rebc
    18 years ago

I would like to add DEVIL DEER. They ate the buds off my some of my lilies last night, as well as my platycodon, which I just can't understand because it has a bitter, milky sap. Somehow they must be stopped!

• chescobob
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lavinia:

I too was thinking how nice it would be to have beetle-eating bunnies. Then they would be angel bunnies.

rebc:

I am planting shrubs opposite my woods this year to eliminate my hills from the need for mowing. I have seen a few deer in the woods so I expect to be intoduced to devil deer soon. I tried planting shrubs they do not eat first.
    --------------

By the way, I didn't notice devil beetles on my roses when I took the dog for a walk. I'll take a closer look this morning. Maybe I can escape some of them.

• geoforce
    18 years ago

Deer are definitely devils here

I have not seen a bloom on my asiatic and oriental lilies in 3 years. Plants do great, not having to spend unnecessary energy making those useless flowers.

No daylily over 20 feet from my house has bloomed this or last year, and several of the closer ones are a bit sparse in foliage and buds.

Hosta (supposedly deer resistant) looks really strange as upright petioles with no leaves attached.

Devil squirrels are also a bit of a problem. Last night they dug and scattered about 50% of the hellebore seeds and seedlings I had planted over the last 3 weeks.

As for roses, I gave up on them years ago. Not a single one left in my garden at present.

George

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

Can you keep them on that side of the Delaware, please? Pretty please? Thank you (danged critters are early this year!)!

• witsend22
    18 years ago

deer are the only perenial around here that you can be sure will be here and thriving next year. Actually more like an evergreen they are here all year. At least (knock on wood) the ground hog has relocated far away from this place due to the presence if fido. Problem this year could be the bear that keeps coming around spreading garbage around for me to pick up.

• paveggie
    18 years ago

Devil squirrels - they must GO. They dig in nearly every piece of softish ground. This includes the over sixty containers of plants around the place. In the fall they bury acorns from all the mighty oaks around.

• miss_chanterelle
    18 years ago

we have our share of devil bugs here in Butler but my 2 hell-hounds keep the groundhogs, bunnies and squirrels away! Unfortunately the new housing development going up by our back fence is taking the deer away as well as the beautiful pasture and woods we looked out on for many years. Hate to sound mean but wish all the Allegheny county folks would stay where they are and leave us alone here in Butler county!This was a rural area but seems like every empty space is taken up by huge houses now..I often wonder why everyone has to build one of these new cookie-cutter castles..what is wrong with the old way of buying an older house and making it a home? No, I'm not an old, set in my ways geezer, just an aging ex-flower child who views progress with a calloused eye. Just give me my flowers and my vegetable garden and take the bull dozers out of the woods! Sorry for the rant..juset hated looking out this morning and realizing I was looking in someones kitchen window instead of looking at the woods!

• chescobob
    Original Author
    18 years ago

miss chanterelle:

I share your pain. I moved to this place in Feb. 2004. I retired and wanted to get away from Washington, D. C. My back yard includes about 300 feet of woods and then a creek. I didn't want anything behind me so I bought this to make that impossible.

On the other side of the house is a dairy farm. The cows are out mooing every day and one gave birth to a calve a couple hundred feet from here. Quite a few of the neighbors still get around in horse and buggie (Amish).

Then it happpened. A developer bought the dairy farm and plans to build over 140 homes.

All I have to say about the sale of the dairy farm is #$@@####$$ %^&$#@# *&%$^$ &*%$# *$!!!!!!!!!

• Lavinia2
    18 years ago

I'll take the bunnies, bugs and deer over the Devil Developers any day.......that's not in invitation; just a preference

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio