Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earthlydelights_gw

what attraction(s) do you recommend visiting in PA?

earthlydelights
17 years ago

good morning everyone, hoping i can get some insight.

i'm planning a road trip through pennsylvania. i would like to stop and see things of interest, off the wall, a garden here and there and whatever else we can fit in.

i would be starting in philadelphia. some that i came up with are the crayola crayon factory; hershey; roadside america, and i also found something called tiny world in shippensburg. maybe also take in the herr's factory.

any suggestions - fun, strange, off the wall, a must-see before you die kind of thing?

thanks, i appreciate it.

maryanne/earthly

Comments (24)

• fusty_overalls
    17 years ago

don't miss driving thru some of the little amish towns...not big ones like lancaster (tho the lancaster area is beautiful)...try some of the smaller ones like bird-in-hand or intercourse or white horse.

i think you can also take a tour of the justborn factory (where they make marshmallow peeps!) (near bethlehem, pa)...i've always wanted to do that!

this is a fun post...let us know what your final plans are.

• pattygrow5
    17 years ago

Maryanne if you come near Pittsburgh Phipps conservatory is a must if you go near erie their gardens are nice and if you are in Pittsburgh you can stop and see my garden.
    patty

• chescobob
    17 years ago

maryanne:

If you visit Herr's in "beautiful downtown" Nottingham here are some ideas.

1. Check to see if Herr's requires a reservation.

2. Routes 272, 472, and 10 are our north/south roads here. Route 1 intersects each one just north of Oxford and Nottingham.

3. Just north of Route 1 on the western side of Route 10, you will see a blue sign for Neuchatel Chocolates. If you are here on a weekday, the factory store is open during the day. The Swiss Choclatier may even wait on you. Try the chocolate covered fruit by piece at the counter--my doctor said he is waiting for the chocolate covered strawberries. (I have to check on those myself since an Amish girl stopped by the house this week selling strawberries.) Its always best to have a pound or two of chocolate in the car on a trip.

4. Check the Strasburg area. From Herr's go north on 272, take a right onto 1 north (actually east), and exit on 472 north to Quarryville. At Quarryville, take a right and go until you hit 896 north. Keep on 896 north and it runs into Strasburg. I haven't stopped in Strasburg yet but it looks interesting. Check the railroad too.

5. If you make it to Strasburg and like outlets, go north on 896 and you will run into Rockvale just before Route 30.

6. If you like wine, we have several vineyards in this general area. I have several links but a search of Chester County vineyards may work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Strasburg

• llangrove
    17 years ago

Please let me put in a good word for Fayette County! The French and Indian War started here, at Ft.Neccessity, the site of George Washington's first battle. We also have two beautiful homes designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, the world famous Fallingwater AND Kentuck Knob! Nemacolin Woodlands Resort is top rated and the 84 Lumber Golf Classic takes place there, in September.

If you like outdoor activities you can white water raft or use one of the many scenic bike or hiking trails. The county is beautiful!

• wolfe15136
    17 years ago

How about the Gettysburg Battlefield?

• dana_pa
    17 years ago

What a coincidence--I just drove the PA turnpike from outside Philly to Pittsburgh yesterday, and stopped at a bunch of great sites along the way! What route will you be taking? Beyond gardening, is there anything else you're looking for?(history, arts, etc.) Someone already mentioned Gettysburg, and I'd vote for Valley Forge as well. If you're into antique cars, there are huge car shows almost every weekend at the Carlisle Fairgrounds (www.carsatcarlisle.com) just off the turnpike. If you're into trains, the Horseshoe Curve in Altoona is really interesting. Also, there are 2 Frank Lloyd Wright houses open to the public near Ohiopyle State Park SE of Pittsburgh.

• gazania_gw
    17 years ago

I have two very worthwhile places for you.

First in north west PA in the Oil City Area is the "Tyred Wheels Museum". It is located off route 227 between Plumer and Pleasntville. The address in 164 Russell Corners Road. There will be signs. This

• gazania_gw
    17 years ago

I have two very worthwhile places for you.

First in north west PA in the Oil City Area is the "Tyred Wheels Museum". It is located off route 227 between Plumer and Pleasntville. The address in 164 Russell Corners Road. There will be signs. This is a very friendly family owned museum that includes huge collections of many things. You will find antique cars, motorcycles, doll houses, tin toys, old radioes, pedal cars, there will be something of interest to everyone. They are only open afternoons on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday from Memorial Day thru Labor Day.

The second place is a toy store for the kid in all of us. It is a business, not a museum, but worth a stop for anyone with kids or whose childhood is lingering. The building looks like a Stealth Bomber. Inside are toys for everyone. But no video games will be found here. Everything here allows a kid to be a kid, not a warrior in a video game. There is 'silly stuff' and educational stuff. The kites are awesome, and much will be found to get a kid out and moving. You will be encouraged to play with anything that strikes your fancy. I am not related to nor do I know the owners, but I want to see this business thrive for that kid in all of us. It is called "Playthings ETC." Located about 8 miles north of the Butler Route 422 and Route 8 interchange on Route 8.

Have fun exploring our wonderful Pennsylvania!

• gazania_gw
    17 years ago

Maryanne, here is another worthwhile museum. If you are in the area, do check it out.

Sorry about that partial post above. There was a power blip as I was typing it and that is what happened. Weird!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Maridon

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

Some gardens: Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square (Kennett Square is also the Mushroom Capital of Earth, see link below).

Close to Longwood is Winterthur in Delaware.

Morris Arboretum in Philadelphia and the Tyler Arboretum in Media.

Greater Philadelphia Gardens

Renziehauser Park outside of Pittsburgh.

And then there is the QVC Studio Tour...

Here is a link that might be useful: The Mushroom Festival

• marjirose
    17 years ago

Well, when you are near Roadside America there is a beautiful raptor viewing area up mt. called Hawk Mt. Sanctuary (near Shartlesville or ?) before Harrisburg, since you are coming west from the east. Also, there is a small Amish community called Smicksburg above Indiana, PA and then Riverside Inn (beautiful old and huge Victorian inn which has delicious food, dinner theatre, etc.) in Cambridge Springs, near Edinboro, PA. It is now Tuesday--how far are you on your trip?
    Marge

• JoanofPa
    17 years ago

What a great posting!
    In Reading Pa there is a real pagoda you can climb on Mt Penn which of course looks out over Reading!.

Lititz Pa, near Lancaster has a Wilbur Bud chocolate factory for anyone who remembers that name.
    In Ephrata is a Cloisters which has tours.
    Grandkids loved the Strasburg railroad.
    What great things I am learning here, can't wait to go to the Mushroom Festival, thanks on that.

Enjoy and let us know all about your trip

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thank you everyone for all of your insight and suggestions.

i haven't started out yet, i'm in the planning stages. i'm trying to take a memorable trip through my our state, visiting a little bit of everything, jammed into about two weeks time. i also have to make sure it satisfies teenagers. i think they would be happy with just about anything and anywhere, but i really want to have a plan and then get a little sidetracked.

i've taken all of your suggestions and am looking into some i didn't know about and how could i ever forget hawk mountain. some places i have been to, but the girls have not.

i admit, i have no clue what the oil city is, but i'm off to do a google search.

i have gotten some wonderful ideas from all of you all rolled into one place. thank you all so much.

maryanne

• Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

Ringing Rocks park in Bucks County is strangely fun, in a primeval sort of way. It's a small valley filled with boulders that make musical ringing tones when you hit them with a hammer. Sounds dopey, but kids (and easily-amused adults like me) seem to enjoy it. There's a gorgeous waterfall, too, hidden down a path.

By the way, I think the picture on this website is mis-identified. Looks like High Rocks (also worth visiting), not Ringing Rocks. Lotsa rocks around here, in case you hadn't guessed.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.gophila.com/C/Countryside/382/Bucks_County/241/U/Ringing_Rocks_Park/1882.html

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

Oh, heck how could I forget the Little League Museum in the northern part of the state, Williamsport. Depending on when you go, the LL World Series might be in progress too, it starts in mid-August.

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

more great ideas. carol, i've camped in ringing rocks and loved it. we played in those rocks making music for quite some time!

we have a pretty neat state, don't we?

• wolfe15136
    17 years ago

oh my gosh! I forgot the beaches in Erie!

Here is a link that might be useful: Presque Isle State Park

• Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

earthlydelights, I've heard that birds never fly directly over the rock field at Ringing Rocks.

There ARE a lot of neat things in this area. I'd love to find the Doan Cave (a Revolutionary War criminals' hideout) someday.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

As kids, our parents took us to Kutztown to Crystal Cave. The town itself is quite an attraction.

Also if you're heading west, don't forget to stop by parts of the Appalachian trail. About 8 years ago, a bunch of us camped out near Carlisle and the trail ran nearby.

• ktd125
    17 years ago

Hi! I love PA and its history. I lived out in the eastern part of the state for a while and the Harley Davidson plant is pretty cool...so are the little towns of Amish (as suggested above). If you're heading up to Erie (Presque Isle is GREAT!!!!) you could hit Oil City and check out the great old mansioins and museums. If you're heading north, check out the Allegheny Nat'l Park, too...there are tons of great places to stay for a night in a cabin on the lake. If you head south, you can always hit the city of Pittsburgh and take in the history there. The science center, station square, museums and strip district are always fun...even for those of us born and raised out here!!!!!!! You could always hit the PS grand canyon, too...heard it is beautiful! Hope you enjoy the trip and I can't wait to hear where you went!!! Take care and journey safe! ~k

• ktd125
    17 years ago

OH!! I almost forgot the great covered bridges in Bedford County. My hubby and I used to meet there (it was half way between Pittsburgh & Quantico) before we were married! Tons of little history stops, antique shops, the bridges, and, of course, the FANTASTIC Jean Bonnet Tavern...which is said to be haunted! Fun little town with lots of character!

• bbinpa
    17 years ago

Hershey Gardens! Especially right now when the roses are blooming. They also have a smaller garden of Old Garden Roses call Mrs. Hershey's Garden. You will not regret it!

• dedtired
    17 years ago

Don't leave Philadelphia without going out to the suburbs to see Chanticleer. For a gardener, this is the holy grail.

Too bad the Mushroom Nuseum is no longer in Kennett Square, if you want strange.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chanticleer

• susiebuckhouse
    17 years ago

Check out the red hot Pirates at the beautiful PNC Park here in BEAUTIFUL Pitsburgh. What ever you do, make it a point to see Phipps in Oakland.