Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Over 6 inches of rain predicted!

Posted by pipersville_carol z6 Bucks PA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 23, 06 at 12:19

Yippee, the next week will be really rainy in my area, according to the forecasters. We really need it.

I'll be out in the rain, weeding like a madwoman.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Over 6 inches of rain predicted!

Oh, no...I'll believe it when I see it. My ponds need it soooo bad. I won't even mind having to engage in a "search and rescue" for the goldfish if the rain comes too fast.

I'm still surprised we didn't get much rain last night. I even did a rain dance. Well, not a real rain dance. A couple of yellow jackets came after me while mowing the lawn. But it looked like a rain dance...

o

Okay...it is the second day of the predicted "rainy week" and I still haven't seen much moisture. I hope I get some soon. There's lots of thunder and lightening, and I'm sure all the towns around me are getting drenched, but as for me and my garden, well.......

o

Not just you melissas! It rained some last night and this morning, but not the 4" - 6" or even 10" that one the weather services claimed would come (not that I would want flooding). I wouldn't even hazard that it was an inch. I'm sitting here looking at the sun right now, which is kicking the temperature up with all this humidity - even with the overcast skies today. I think they should take a clue about how consistent the weather pattern has been around here since winter this year - with "dry slots" almost always forming smack in the middle of the rain shield. The models seem to never get this scenario right.

o

Well here in Bucks county things are getting pretty messy. I had to wear boots to get to the back of our property and was almost up to my ankles in water. If this keeps up,I fear for those living on the Delaware. Can't imagine getting flooded two years in a row.

o

This whole thing has been odd. There has still been a relative "dry slot" within the rain band and last evening, one solid side of the band pummeled Chesco & parts of Delco (sending the creeks to flood stage) with another side of the band going across Bucks and later into the Jersey counties, including down to Cape May county. Where I am (NW Philly), we had a couple bouts of 10 minute moderately heavy rain and then it lightened considerably and pretty much stopped, with on and off light rain through to this morning. The airport here only reported about 1/4" for yesterday.

Looks like a heavier mass of rain is slowly moving up from the SW though so we'll see.

o

Yahoo! I have finally been the recipient of some of the rain!! Last night we got about 1 1/2", and a nice on and off gentle rain today. I am so happy--but here come the weeds (not that I'm complaining)!

o

Didn't get any rain last night, but the night prior I got at least 2" maybe 3" plus. Started raining sometime this morning while I was at church and it hasn't stopped since. I just checked on my lil' tub pond. Had to take more water out of it, so it doesn't overflow and give my fish a way out. Soon we'll be complaining about the lack of sun....

o

Here in Upper Bucks....PFFFFFTTTT!
NOTHING
A half inch on friday night. Big deal.
On Saturday, driving thru Hunterdon County on my way to the big W, I drove thru lots of rain. Today, driving to Flemington and then to Nazareth, I drove thru rain again almost the whole way. And back home? A drizzle that measured .04 on the rain gauge. Yes, that was today's total.
Arrrghhh...this is so frustrating ;-(

o

I don't know how much rain we received but it poured all last night. That had to be several inches. We received a good deal the last 2 days too.

o

In Pipersville the Saturday rain total was about two inches. It did seem to be VERY localized... we had pouring rain in the morning, but when I spoke to my hay dealer around 11 a.m., he said he hadn't gotten any rain even though he's only five miles west of me.

Sunday was disappointing, only about a inch of rain. But it's pouring again today.

I put all of my houseplants outside this morning. They'll love getting a nice rain bath.

o

According to the map displayed by the NBC affiliate in Phila., we had 6 inches of rain so far in SW Chester County with much more coming.

o

Lordy, enough already! I just read about possible flooding in Philadelphia tomorrow. It'll be heartbreaking if New Hope and Lambertville get flooded again. Those people have already suffered two years of back-to-back destruction. Ouch.

o

Well... We got 2.6" more here at the PA-DEL-MA corner over the night. This bringe us to a bit over 8" since Friday night. Had to take a detour to work this morning, as the Red Clay was over the road in Yorklyn, DE, but the White Clay near my home had already receeded, and the Brandywine was still fine at Thompson's Bridge. Still, that is a bit much and there is a lot more coming if the predictions are right.

George

o

River road along the Delaware (Route 32) is already feeling the effects. With an SUV, the water comes up to the bottom of the doors. I suspect that the road will be closed by mid-day (if not closed by now already).

Our total rainfall for the past few days isn't even that bad. 2.5" last night, but the total is still under 5 inches. I probably should have gone on a "search and rescue" for the goldfish this morning, since I'm sure the pond overflowed.

o

Hi folks, since Friday... I have emptied my rain gauge twice, and as of this morning, a total of 9.25 inches in my yard!

o

Naturenut, I'd heard that River Road was bad in Uhlerstown at 7 am this morning, and it's probably gotten much worse by now. My mother is being evacuated right now, in Ewing NJ. Luckily my brother is there to help (although he sounded pretty panicked on the phone).

I was up at 4:41 am this morning clearing ditches around the garage and barn, and couldn't believe how hard the rain was coming down. I was still outside when the storm "broke" and the weather started to improve, and it was an amazingly distinct moment. Suddenly the rain lessened, the pre-dawn sky brightened, and a bird started singing. It seemed to happen in about 10 seconds.

o

Yikes! Carol, I hope that the evacuation turns out to be a precaution only, and everything turns out okay with your mother.
As of tonight, River Road is closed from 611 all the way down to Solebury. I'm sure that by morning, it will be closed all the way down to Trenton.
I had no idea that the rain was so bad last night...not until I did some weeding tonight and I saw the telltale signs of dirt splashed onto the siding from the gutters overflowing.

o

Apparently much of the flooding over here in Philly is coming from all the water pouring downstream to the river outlets here and not so much from rain here. I can imagine what it would have been like if the city had as much rain as the other areas on top of receiving the overflow water from upstream!

o

Jenny did you get that rain cell over you last night? It woke me up I've been up since 3:45 am this morning. Sarah

o

Sarah - yep! That woke me up. Alot of lightning. And last night, I actually recorded some of the lightning storm on my digital camera around 10:30pm!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here