Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trees

Posted by debil Pgh (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 6, 06 at 12:23

Hi everyone, hoping your gardens are in full bloom!!I am looking to plant a tree that will get very large, very fast. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trees

How big?

I planted a 5 gal. fraxinus pennsylvanica (Green Ash), a fast growing native, which is growing by leaps and bounds. Its a good tree because its a vigorous grower when young and although it hits 50-60 in height and 20-30 in width at maturity, it won't displace your concrete sidewalks. Despite its fast growth rate, candidly, I wish I had bought a larger, tree. Then I'd have a pretty substantial addition in just a couple years time.

A quercus palustris (Pin Oak) is another fast growing native that will grow larger than a Green Ash (add 20 feet to height and width). Like a Green Ash a Pin Oak does not have an invasive roots system, so it won't displace your sidewalk, either.

Both trees transplant easily and tolerate a wide variety of soil conditions.

Both trees live a long time, about 75 years.

o

The native tulip poplar is a handsome tree, too. A fast growing hardwood, VERY tall (over 100 feet, I think). People say they're messy, but that puzzles me... the one we planted doesn't seem to make a mess. It was about 10 feet tall 2 years ago, and is easily 20 feet tall now.

o

Dawn redwood, aka "Metasequoia glyptostroboides", aka "Dinosaur Tree".
Growth rate: 1 to 3 feet per year.
Fine needle pin foliage, but not evergreen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dawn Redwood information

o

I'lll second the dawn redwood suggestion. Sycamore is another fast grower that gets large but is not prone to breakage.

Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here