Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipersville_carol_gw

pix of my garden, chock full o' bloom

Pipersville_Carol
16 years ago

I had to share some pictures, the Russian Sage is so beautiful this year.

In the foreground is the "tapestry hedge" planted last year (I stole the idea from the White Flower Farm catalog). Hopefully it'll become a gorgeous big backbone of shrubs some day.

The front garden from a distance. Funny how the flowers are completely hidden, all you can see is the spruce.

Comments (14)

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

carol, just lovely. great tree for sure and such nice grounds. i love seeing how everyone puts there beds together. i'm really doing some major overhaul this year everything has grown beyond my expectations.

thanks for sharing.
    maryanne

• mombo
    16 years ago

Just wonderful! I would like to have you as a neighbor.

• Pipersville_Carol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! I'll be out there weeding today, the ground is nice and soft after last night's deluge.

• murial
    16 years ago

What an inspiration! I just bought 7 teeny tiny Russian Sage the other day. Now I can't wait to plant them.

Thanks for sharing!

• dirtdiggindiva
    16 years ago

Beautiful! I'm so jealous, my russian sage has not performed at all this year. What am I doing wrong? I've had them for a couple of years but did move them last year. Do you cut yours back in the spring? Keep doing what you're doing.

• Pipersville_Carol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I did cut them back to about 10" last spring and again this spring, after not doing it for several years. They really liked being chopped back. Everything you see is new growth. I also never water them (now that they're established). They seem to like it really hot and dry.

• melissas
    16 years ago

Lovely! What is the grass in the background of the first picture? Keep up the good work.

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

Your garden is lovely---I love the Russian Sage--

Thanks for sharing,

Florence

• Pipersville_Carol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The grass is Miscanthus "Morning Light". I can see why it has that name, it really does look prettiest in the morning, backlit with sunshine. It blooms tall wine-red plumes in the fall.

• silent1pa
    16 years ago

Gotta love all that bee balm. Makes you want to dig in the garden more just to have that smell activated.

• Pipersville_Carol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I love the way bee balm is fragrant all year long. Even in the dead of winter, if I tromp through that bed I get a whiff of springtime.

The succession of bloom this summer has been fantastic, thanks to the great weather. The bee balm is almost done now, but the enchinacea is in full bloom (better than ever). This is the first year my perennial garden has achieved constant bloom.

• Mike Larkin
    12 years ago

Nice photos --- you have a great garden

enjoy

• bon321
    12 years ago

I'm a fairly new gardener here in Z6. The Bee Balm is really pretty. Will it grow here and if so where and when should it be planted and what is the care?

Can someone help me out?

• stimpy926
    12 years ago

bon321 Monarda is easy to grow. If you have plants in hand, or you find some at a garden center, you can put them in the ground now. Otherwise put them in next spring. Beware that they are in the mint family = spreads. They can be kept in check by easily digging out what you don't want. They have a tendency to get powdery mildew. After they bloom, you can cut the foliage and flower stalks to the ground and it will resprout with nice foliage. Putting bee balm in the back of shorter plants will also help to hide unsightly foliage.
    Have fun

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus