Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Advice on grey birch

lpinkmountain
17 years ago

Last fall I planted a grey birch, Betula populifolia or something like that, anyway the native one that's not papyrifera or nigra or allegheniensis or lenta. Got it at a native plants nursery. Had aphids this spring bigtime. Sprayed with oil soap. Leaves turned brown and died. The tree is trying to re-leaf, it looks awful. I thought the PA native tree would not be as buggy as the asian or european varieties. Is this tree going to continue to be marginal? I've only seen them in the wild in the PA mountain regions. Should I cut my losses? Anyone who has experience with growing Grey birch in an urban area, advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Saw a "Crimson frost" vairety in the nursery that looked better but I suspect it will be susceptible to the same aphids. Is Betula lenta, black birch perhaps less buggy due to the resin? Should I just give up on birches in this urban area I live in? Other options are serviceberry or a small magnolia or maybe some type of dogwood. I'd really prefer a birch though. Not enough space for Betula nigra, River birch.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms