Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kato_b

clearance sales

katob Z6ish, NE Pa
18 years ago

Anyone hitting the clearance racks yet?

I got an awesome red veined banana (musa murielli?) plant for $4 this week.

Also Lowes has great looking perennials in quart size pots for $3.33 -is this a year round thing?, I was eyeing a bunch of named butterfly bushes, a few phlox plants (is it ok to say phloxes?) all were big enough to be sold as gallon plants. To think I mailordered tiny 4 inch butterfly bushes for about twice the price not too long ago!

ps- for those in my area, the banana was from Dundee gardens, they had flats of annuals on sale for $3 and most annuals 50% off.

Kato

Comments (7)

• llangrove
    18 years ago

I bought eight, gallon size perennial plants y'day at Lowes for $1.00 each. They were just reduced! I picked my way through and selected the best looking plants....for once I was at the right place at the right time!

Lowes has had some real bargains on perennials this year. I bought the $3.33 butterfly bushes and astilbe...all are doing well. I wasn't too impressed with their plants in the past, maybe they have a new supplier.

• TerriJM
    18 years ago

Kato, when you mentioned Dundee Gardens, you reminded me that I have Dundee Dollars to use (good only until July14th). I got them when I bought plants and supplies in the spring.
    Looks like I'll be traveling to Nanticoke tomorrow!!! Thanks for the reminder!

• gardenguy_
    18 years ago

I was reading over at the banana forums, as I have my SDC in the ground since April and they're doing great now. Some of the folks over at the banana forum said that they found the "ice cream" banana in Home Depot. Well the HD that I went to doesn't have any banana plants, neither does Lowes. Funny thing is that I did see banana plants at Giant Eagle, of all places, for sale. They were in the floral dept.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I guess I have to look in new places, I could still use another banana! There are still 3 types that I lost last winter during a "heating issue". It's hard to replace the plants that you collect over the years, luckily I gave a few pups away here and there and i think I can get one or two grandchildren.

I have a few Dundee dollars too. Unfortunately my other half holds onto them for me, and it's not the plant benches that she looks at when she shops there.....

I was eyeing $5 5gallon hibiscus at Lowes... what kind of tropical garden is it without a hibiscus or two? I was strong though.... even if I did pick out the best one that had a few buds coming and that would look really nice in a few weeks. I talked myself out of it.

• tmtmom
    18 years ago

I just hit the Lowe's in Easton; the $3.33 perennials aren't bad at all, especially considering that some of the ones I see at flea markets/farmers' markets are $4-5. The sign says it's a new, lower price, reduced from the original, $4.99 I think. There are also some smaller pots for $2-something. Didn't see any $1 ones :-( Home Depot has been having some 1/2 price perennials, but half of $9.95 (large pots) isn't that great a deal!
    Does anyone else admit to feeling at least a small twinge of guilt when they shop at the large chains rather than the mom-n-pop-type small nurseries? I feels like I'm selling out, buying at the horticultural equivalent of a puppy mill (an idea abhorrent to me, as a breeder of Manchester Terriers)! Cost is really a consideration though, and undeniably the little guys can't compete with the large stores with their much bigger buying capacity....

• zinnia_PA
    18 years ago

Dan Schantz Greenhouses had a good clearance on hanging baskets starting last week, I don't know if they have anything left--two for $10 on all baskets 24.99 and under. I was lucky enough to just happen to be there on the first day, so I got a 24.99 basket (Martha geranium), two 19.99 baskets (non-stop begonias) and a 14.99 basket, for 5 each. I thought the 14.99 basket was worth only 5 since it was pretty small with only petunias, but I really liked the varied purples. Their perennials and shrubs were also on sale, but since I still have some to plant I didn't buy any more. I also don't like to buy at the big box stores, but when I am tempted with plants for a buck or two I just can't resist.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sometimes I just can't resist a low low price at one of the box stores, but I agree that I almost feel guilty shopping there! Then I think about the support ($$) that I give the local nurseries and I feel better.

-but I'm not a big bulk plant buyer, so I don't think I'm the customer they are looking for at either store. I spend an hour there and then spend 3.99 on one plant. They're not going to get rich off me! I'm way to cheap :)

Plus I too have a bunch of potted goodies that will need permanent spots eventually.

......but that 3.33 price, wow.

Sponsored