Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Maple question

Posted by izzygator Z6 Western PA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 12, 06 at 13:23

I live in Pittsburgh and noticed that the bark on the trunk of the Japanese Maple in my yard has started to crack and pull away from the trunk. We just moved in and wasn't sure how to take care of this problem. I know some trees have that tape you put around the trunk to protect them, but any suggestions? The tree is about 7 feet tall with about 7 feet circumference, relatively full and quite healthly... I just want to keep it that way!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Maple question

I wish I could help. You might try posting this on the Maples forum. Lots of good info is available there.

o

Is it possible it's supposed to peel? Perhaps some Japanese Maples have decorative bark, the kind that peels naturally.

Oakleaf hydrangea has exfoliating bark, and when I first saw the bark peel I thought the plant had been winter-killed. It was perfectly healthy, though.

o

Paperbark maple actually has peeling bark by breeding. Do the leaves have three parts?

o

It's your typical burgundy colored Acer P. with five lobed pointed leaves. The bark hasn't peeled in the previous two seasons (we have lived here at this house for three years). I may check out the Maples forum next, but since I thought this might be a PA problem, I thought I would post it here first. I have noticed this week that the middle of the tree seems a little thinned out, although there aren't any leaves on the ground...

I have read various things about different types of mulch to use around them... is there any I can use/avoid??

Thanks to all!

Mike

o

Sometimes if there's a section of trunk that dies due to some kind of damage, the bark will peel off. I suspect that's what happened. Maybe the drought last summer had some kind of lasting effect?

I'm no mulch expert but I bet an organic mulch would be best (like shredded bark or wood chips) Don't put it all the way up against the trunk or it may invite decay and insects up close to the damaged trunk - which is exactly what you DON'T want to do.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here