Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annld

Any devil beetles?

annld
15 years ago

I know I had started seeing them by this time last year, but I haven't seen any yet this year. I hate to put this in writing for fear that I'll jinx myself. I wonder if they're late or if a superhero eradicated them for us.

Comments (20)

• not_a_contessa
    15 years ago

I haven't seen any yet and I'd be very happy to never see one again, but I'm sure that won't happen. My Rose of Sharon was a magnet for them so I had my DH cut it down early this year. I was sorry to see it go, but it was just awful to see so many JBs on it. We'll see how things go this year without it.

Mary

• sarahbn
    15 years ago

I did the same thing I got rid of two Rose of Sharons I have to say I was not sad to see them go.

Maybe the drier summer we had last year helped keep their numbers down?

• caliloo
    15 years ago

I've seen a few, but since most of my roses had the blooms blow in the hot hot weather a couple of weeks ago, I don't have any blooming right now, so not much of interest for the JBs.

Cant say that I miss them though.....

Alexa

• ltguidetti
    15 years ago

Yes, they are here, with a vengeance. My roses are toast. I put down a lot of Milky Spore last year, but hopefully it won't be another 2-3 years before I see results....

We also have BOX ELDERS, now too. (western Chester County)

Ya know, I have lived here for years. There has never been a bug problem like this. I am off to get Buggslayer tomorrow. Bag the chemicals, I don't want those things in my house!

• annld
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yup, I noticed a swarm of them on my purple-leaf plum yesterday, so they're here. They really go for that shrub. It had never occurred to me to replace the shrub with something else that's less of an attractant. I may have to consider that. They also go for my crape myrtles, but the're too huge to move. I've used the beetle traps in the past, but I'm always concerned that they just attract more beetles. Hmmm...

• ltguidetti
    15 years ago

Yes, the beetle bags Do attract them! So did our basil, lol. I would not put anything out except Milky Spore, and let it do it's job. It will take a couple of years but in the end it will be worth it.

• pinwheel
    15 years ago

They have arrived and they are chomping on my azalea bush right now.

• gazania_gw
    15 years ago

Ok, so I put down Milky Spore, but my neighbors on all sides of me don't. What is going to keep their JB's off my flowers?

• mystic_dragon72
    15 years ago

Hmm... all this talk of JB's.. I've only ever seen one. And I killed it right away. I haven't been here long enough to really notice them yet though. We moved out to the country from a small town in November of last year... we'll see if we get an infestation.

My neighbor says that she usually looses all her cone flowers to them... only time will tell just how bad they are here for us.

ttfn
    Mystic.

• Tracy Brant
    15 years ago

I have only seen one, so far. On laundry on my clothesline. I made a bucket of soapy water right away, but I haven't found any more, yet. They were awful last year.

• alexander3_gw
    15 years ago

I have seen the first of them this past week, but just a few per day. That's about two weeks later than last year, but many of my flowers are behind last year's schedule as well. Could be cooler weather? Hopefully the Milky Spore I put down 3 summers ago is making a difference.

Alex

• westhighlandblue
    15 years ago

I haven't seen any yet. I've gotten to the point where I let them chomp away, feed and water the plant that they are feeding on, and hope for the best.

• rebow
    15 years ago

does anyone know what I can use to attract the big irridiscent green June Beetles? I'd like to get them all in one place so I can conveniently KILL THEM.

I've given up on JB's, they are too plentiful to deal with despite using Milky spore and nematodes. They just fly in from other yards since my neighbors use the trap bags. I just ignore the JB's now but these recently appearing june beetles are hard to ignore.

• westhighlandblue
    15 years ago

I've seen neither hide nor hair of the little devils. I don't miss them at all. Wouldn't it be nice if they fell victim to global warming?

• stimpy926
    15 years ago

rebow - the big june beetle Cotinus nitida is harmless to the average homeowner, may eat some grass roots, but not as destructive as JB's - better to leave them for birds to eat.

This is the first year I haven't had to spray my Lagerstromia indica's for the JB's. I've seen hardly any!
    I did apply Milky Spore 3-4 years ago so maybe it's finally helping. I don't have much grass, it's mostly weeds, but at least it's green lol. I have removed 3 plants that they like to feed on. But I still have a large Kwanzaan cherry, & 3 'Thundercloud' Plum trees that they devour, but I don't see much damage on them.

Here is a link that might be useful: June beetle

• pinwheel
    15 years ago

Any plant that I know from experience that they will chomp into, I don't plant. That means no dahlias but that's ok, there are plenty of other plants that I like.

Earlier this summer I impulsively purchased a variety of marigold called 'Vanilla'. Gorgeous, extremely pale yellow. The devil beetles love it and wrecked many of the flowers with their drunken debauchery.

A few days ago I put a couple of garlic cloves in the ground around the marigold. The affect wasn't immediate but there were only two JBs on the marigolds this evening, as opposed to the entire orgies that were taking place earlier in the week.

• bella_trix
    15 years ago

I've been really surprised this year by the low number of japanese beetles. I'm in Northern Montgomery County, my mon's in Northern Bucks County and neither one of us have had many beetles. In my case, I think I'm still in the single digits. Weird (but welcome).

Bellatrix

• motherearth2
    15 years ago

I know they're gone now (good riddance!), but I had to add that in Lancaster County they were here in swarms. We finally broke down and had one professional spraying done. Helped tremendously, but we're cutting down the two plum trees this fall. Hubby and I have a knack for picking trees the beetles love!
    Tracey

• gazania_gw
    15 years ago

Just when I thought they were gone for the season and I had stopped my 3 times a day yard patrol, I found a hoard of them happily decimatimg a geranium yesterday that they had previously ignored. There were no flowers on anything nearby to attract the bees/butterflies, so these monsters got sevin-ed.

• User
    15 years ago

I'm still seeing them, but in lesser numbers. They went for my Iceberg and Pinocchio roses, and my Exbury azaleas, mostly. The infestation this year was horrible, but they seem attracted to only these plants, and not the others in the garden. Even my hibiscus Diana (white) was spared, and that's usually a magnet plant for JBs.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services