Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kr222

Tomatoes!

kr222
13 years ago

I went out this morning and found a nice surprise. My Sun Gold tomatoes had starting putting on tomatoes about a week ago. This morning after taking a walk through the garden I saw that my Cherokee Green (my favorite last season!), Jetstar, and Box Car Willie plants also have their first tomatoes! I love this time of year!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's Garden

Comments (4)

• ladybug80
    13 years ago

Wow, that is exciting! What part of PA do you live? My tomato plants are just starting to grow fruit. I have roma's and early girl's planted this year. Hoping to make some spaghetti sauce and salsa later!

• kr222
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm from Reading, PA. What part of PA are you from?
    It's so great to see that plants I started from seeds are doing so well. It looks like I might have Sun Golds to try really soon. They look to be full size, but they have not begun to change colors yet. This is a really fun time of year!

• ladybug80
    13 years ago

I am from Lancaster County, PA. This is my first time growing tomatoes so I am learning as I go. So far they seem to be doing fine although I've seen some others tomato plants progressing further along than mine are. Do you give your tomato plants fertilizer?

• kr222
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have tomatoes that were all started at the same time yet different varieties seem to grow at a different rate. Mine are in raised beds that get fresh garden soil added to top them off every Spring. I try to mix in different bags from different companies to get more variety in my soil. I use a little of my home compost as well. I did just sprinkle some slow-release fertilizer around the roots of each one. Other than that, I pretty much leave them to do their thing.

Other than fertilizing, I do remove lower foliage so it doesn't come close or touch the soil. I mulch as well. I always water the soil and not the plants as well. This will help to keep the foliage dry and prevent diseases from splashing up onto the plants.

It's great to hear that you are trying to grow tomatoes. It can be addicting though. Maybe I'll try this variety. Oh, this kind looks good. I have to try to grow that one...It never ends. It's a lot of fun. If you really get into it, lots of people on the Tomato Forum share seeds over the fall and winter. Wintersown.com also sends out free seeds if you mail them a self-addressed stamped envelope!

Kim

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths