Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blutarski_gw

Should I dead head my lupines?

blutarski
14 years ago

My lupines are blooming beautifully. I've never grown them before, should I cut the flower stalk off when the flowers are done?

Comments (13)

• stimpy926
    14 years ago

Perennial lupines are actually biennials, they'll die after blooming. Save the seed from the blooms, they're pretty to easy to grow.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• alisande
    14 years ago

I've been growing lupines for 30 years, and this is the first I've heard of them being biennial. After reading Paula's comment, I learned that there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on the issue.

I can tell you two things: One, I've read over and over that the seed stalks should be cut after blooming. And two, my lupines have never died after blooming. Typically, they produce a small plant with a few small blooms the first year. The following year, the plant is much bigger, with lots of big blooms. How long this larger plant lives varies, but I've had them live for many years at a good size. The chances that they're reseeding are slim, because I cut off the stalks after blooming.

Susan

• karen_b
    14 years ago

Susan I've noticed that with my columbine, if I dead head them the plant will last several years. But if I let it go to seed the mother plant doesn't come back next year. I think it's because the mother plant puts all of its energy into producing the seeds and not into its roots. IMHO I'm going to deadhead my lupine. Thanks

• stimpy926
    14 years ago

I think zoning is a factor. Zone 6, possibly 7, when I grew them a few years ago, can be too warm for them. I just remember the whole plant dying spontaneously right after bloom. Perhaps in the right spot though....

Here is a link that might be useful: other conversation

• PRO
    Kestrel Shutters & Doors
    14 years ago

I have a related question. I started some lupines last spring, all from the same seed batch. Different colors but the same source and packet. About 8 survived winter and rabbits and bloomed this spring.

Half of them bloomed in the spring and that was it. The others, located in a different garden but with about the same amount of sun, are still blooming. Why would some bloom for a couple weeks while the others bloom for a couple months?

Any thoughts as to why?

Thanks,

Jim

• stimpy926
    14 years ago

Location. Zone 6 is too warm, so results vary.

• princeton701
    7 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but if anyone is still interested...I grow lupines in 6B and was surprised how well they did in my partially sunny spot. The interesting thing is that the same plant comes back each year - doesn't matter if I deadhead it or not. Sometimes, I let a spike or two go to seed, then pop them open and sprinkle them in the bed, for many future lupine babies the next spring.

• poaky1
    7 years ago

I have noticed that the leaves will die/disappear on Lupines if the blooms are left on to get into fuzzy covered little (almost peapod) little "things" for lack of a better word. I am zone 6 SW Pa about 25 miles from Morgantown WV, maybe 65-70 miles from Pittsburgh, Pa. That's my experience here in my yard anyway.

• poaky1
    7 years ago

Prince, If I recall correctly, the foliage will show itself here and there.

• poaky1
    7 years ago

Personally Prince, I have just spread a pouch of seeds in an area under a Chestnut oak tree. It is a bit out from under the trees canopy. I spread the seeds of Lupines, Delphiniums, Columbines and Rockcress.

• poaky1
    7 years ago

Poaky1. I am hoping that this post helps people see Lupines,Delphiniums,Columbines, Rockcress and several plants that are growing in the shade in zone 6 and warmer areas.

• JRDPA
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong lupine, but bluebonnets are lupines are they not and they're all over Texas so I find the too warm argument odd. Too cold in winter, yes.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths