Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tweedogs

Stonehedge gardens

tmtmom
18 years ago

I was wondering if anyone has ever visited Stonehedge, near Tamaqua, Pa.?- it's a fascinating place, and completely unexpected for that area. It was oppressively hot and humid the day we stumbled in, and some of the gardens were suffering from the heat as well as lack of enough helping hands, but it was still a treat. When it was purchased in the 60s, the property consisted of only a farmhouse and farmland, but now has 6 of the acres in gardens, including herb garden, perennial beds, formal garden, patios, pond, terraces, and the original farmhouse has been turned into a rather bizarre, artsy living quarters and giftshop, with many of the architectural components salvaged from buildings that were destroyed by hurricane Agnes. There are several events held on the property, such as a tea party and a Christmas tree-lighting ceremony, and I believe it's available for weddings and other functions. It was an inspiration to see what was accomplished over the years by a handful of friends with their collective enthusiasm, horticultural passion, and artistic abilities! Since the death of one of the original owners (and the toll that age takes on us all) it's become a bit shabby and the gardens need some trimming and weeding- funny, my husband never noticed!- but it's still worth stopping in if you're in that area. There's no charge to stroll the grounds, but don't neglect to leave a donation in the jar! :-) They have a website at stonehedge.org

Comments (4)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz