Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elongrad97

Ewww! What is it!?!?!? Yellow glob.

elongrad97
18 years ago

On top of my mulch, right in front of the house � no less � is this mass of burnt yellow yuck. It appeared overnight and doesn't spray away easily. What the heck is it? I have two large clumps of this &$#%. Help!

Comments (14)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

I remember a bit ago, a post somewhere on GW about slime mold and people's description of it. And that sounds like what you might have. I've included a link below with some info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Slime mold info

• wolfe15136
    18 years ago

We call it dog vomit mold. Grows on mulch.

• chescobob
    18 years ago

I have several plops of slime mold on my mulched gardens. It will eventually fade away.

• elongrad97
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yup, that's what it is. I had one last year too, only I could live with it in a hidden spot. This one showed up right in front of the front door in time for my party tomorrow. I'll get some pics in the day light. Maybe I can find an anti-fungal. What's really gross, is that when you spray it, it turns brown and a cloud of black dust rises. Now THAT'S nasty.

Thanks for the info!

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

I think that cloud of "dust" means it just released spores so it can take over your whole yard! 8-)

• elongrad97
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh, wonderful....would you like some for your garden? :)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Heh heh. I get enough fungii sprouting up here thank you! Sortof makes me think of that sticky "slime" that they sell for kids as a toy. You could get some tiny plastic containers, fill 'em up, and sell it on ebay or something.

• stimpy926
    18 years ago

I just removed one from my bed. I don't think it's necessary to hunt down an anti-fungal. Just dig up the affected area of mulch and dispose in the trash.

• mgood4u
    18 years ago

Oh MY goodness- I just found some of this stuff growing on an old stump from a tree. It is nasty and wierd. I thought an animal puked there! lol.

• lisa_ch
    18 years ago

I have to deal with this "vomit mold" alot at my job. It is actually a one celled organism. It should not harm your bed but it can do damage to turf if it finds it's way there. You can spray it away with the hose as long as it has not reached the spore stage. You can also just turn it over and under the mulch, that should kill it. Or simply dispose of it like Paula said. It will go away once conditions are no longer favorable.

• elongrad97
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh, I sprayed it with a hose at one point and guess what...it's taking over my bed! I started digging it up last night, but every time I turn around, another pocket of yellow is forming. I really hate this stuff.

• jizaref
    18 years ago

I have the same problem in my hemlock bark mulch! We've had so much rain, various spots of this yellow slime mold have been appearing around our yard.

I've tried scooping it away, but more appears. I've tried placing lime to change the pH (when I thought it was fungus). I try leaving it, but then it turns to a black powdery spot on top of the mulch, presumably spreading more spores.

We've had so much rain and humid weather, I assume there is no way to fight it. They are not large, just numerous. Harmless, but very unsightly.

Is is better to leave it or remove it, or will it spread no matter what?

Jeff

• elongrad97
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mine is in my hemlock too. It's so nasty. I dig it up, it comes back. I've tried spraying with fungicide...no luck.

• mymacca
    18 years ago

YIKES!!!

Ready about the scary blob mold and suddenly my computer starts HISSING at me!

Damn those ads with audio! I don't want a spicy chicken sandwich now for SURE!

**Macca**

Sponsored
Fredericksburg's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living