Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karigraphy_gw

What's blooming in your yard? 6/3/05

Karigraphy
18 years ago

Not much is blooming in my yard so I want to see what I should add for the future?

My peonies are just starting to bloom. The rhododendrons are just finishing. Perennial geraniums are blooming.

We had landscapers put in a new patio last year with some shubbery so our garden was dug out. I have to get new perennials to mess up the neat landscaperish look, if you know what I mean.

I did see some fox glove in bloom in our area.

What else is blooming???

Karen

Comments (18)

• Pipersville_Carol
    18 years ago

peonies
    lilacs (Miss Kim and one listed as "Canadian" by Jung's)
    perennial geraniums
    viburnums
    motherwort
    rugosa roses
    fleeceflowers
    violets (I think)

Mountain laurel and salvia are just starting to show color. Such a nice time of year!

• Staci
    18 years ago

Rhododendrons (at peak bloom)
    Dame's rocket
    Sea Thrift?
    Columbine
    Clematis
    Coral Bells
    Jacob's Ladder
    Iris
    Anemone
    Bleeding Hearts
    Violets
    Sno Ball Bush

Wow, I didn't realize there were that many things blooming.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

Iris are nice for me now, plus columbine. Moneyplant (lunaria?) is a good filler that selfseeds.... if you like the purple color. This always seems like a slow time right between the late tulips and first roses.
    How about a few shrubs like weigela and rhododendron?

I need a few viburnums and more of about everything else! I was having the same thoughts as you were - my garden seemed a little dull after the tulips and daffs faded.
    Kato

• peggy1155
    18 years ago

Right now, I have blooming Siberian Wallflower, peonies (no name!), Johnny Jump Ups, Columbine, Sweet William, Yellow Loosestrife (just starting), poppies, Wieglia, spiderwort, sage, day lilies (again, no names!), tall German iris, Siberian iris, and thrift. :) I love the Spring!!

Peggy in Bucks County

• dirtdiva
    18 years ago

Karigraphy, My yard is really looking nice right now. The Rhododendrons are still blooming, I have late blooming azaleas but I'm not sure of the name. They are the wide, low growing type. I have three spectacular looking clematis plants in full bloom..Asao, Nelly Moser and HJyoung. The columbine is everywhere in the wooded area behind my home. Dianthus is in full bloom. Chives, globemaster allium, iris (big ones and the smaller ones...)My Miss Kim lilac bush is loaded (It's a later bloomin lilac). The sage and salvia are also starting to show color. Floxgloves have buds. Also, try different colors in plant foliage. I have hostas, variegated hydrangeas, heuchera...and it all adds to the look. I try to take a walk in my yard every day, it's great.

• Karigraphy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The variety of things in bloom is wonderful. I'm taking notes to make plans for future planting!

Karen

• zeffyrose
    18 years ago

Our Rhodies and Azaleas are finished. The Rhodies were glorious this year. My roses are starting to bloom . Whooppee! Come join us on the rose Gallery.

Florence/zeffyrose

• hannah
    18 years ago

My French Lilac, Rhodies and azaleas are finished...bummer.

Now blooming: Assorted Iris, Columbines, Clematis and Salvias!

My Astillbe(s) are just about ready to bloom as are my lillies.

Spiderworts & Geraniums are blooming now as well.

Ambridge Rose is a bloom fest this year! Yippee!!!

• hannah
    18 years ago

My Gaura lindeheimeri 'Siskiyou Pink' and Penstemons 'Bashful' & 'Husker Red' are blooming!

• springcherry
    18 years ago

The big story is daisies, lots of daisies.

Springcherry

• alisande
    18 years ago

Most of you are way ahead of me. But right now my property is a sea of sweet rocket. About 20 years ago I started a half-dozen or so from seed. I subsequently learned that they are considered an environmental hazard in some areas because of they way they self-sow and choke out native plants. Still, they were fairly restrained in my garden for many years. But this year they are everywhere! Hazard or no, the effect is really beautiful, and the scent at night divine.

Some iris are in bloom, too, as well as three roses I bought this year: Angel Face, Belinda's Dream, and Baby Blanket.

Susan

• homequaker1
    18 years ago

Siberian iris, small white iris and larger yellow iris are still blooming, but near the end.
    Johnny jumpups
    Sweet William at its peak (they self sow)
    Allium about over
    Fleabane
    Spiderwort
    native bleeding heart
    Shasta daisies
    catmint
    rhubarb
    native columbine
    native honeysuckle
    multiflora rose (invasive, but is everywhere)
    white yarrow
    salvia

• User
    18 years ago

Blooming in my yard now are peonies, penstemons, valarian, roses,delphinium,verbena, malva,white sage,bachelor button,bitsy daylily & happy returns,geranium,iris, fleabane,yellow sedum.

• Flutterbyblue2
    18 years ago

First year garden ....everything I have purchased has started to bloom...not sure if we can post pics here but heres a few
    Donna

Clematis

About Face

Basket

• pattygrow5
    18 years ago

Blooming in my yard right now
    peonies
    poppies
    canterbury bells
    3 varieties foxgloves
    2 clematis
    many columbines
    johnny jump-ups
    trillium
    meadow rue
    corydalis
    all my roses
    sweet william
    dianthus
    bachelor buttons
    virburnum
    coreopsis
    campanula
    lamium
    many iris
    toadflax
    lysimachia
    symphytum
    tradescantia
    cranesbill
    limnanthes
    I think that's it lots of buds on other things too.
    Patty

• seventowers
    18 years ago

Blooming now are
    campanula persificolia
    Lupine
    Delphinium
    Columbine
    Rose Knockout
    Lithodora
    Primrose Japonica

• shadylady_pa
    18 years ago

This is always a tough time of the year for me, too. I don't have much in bloom. Next year I plant to add a bunch of allium to my front border to add a punch.

Siberian Iris, Baptisia, and columbine are on their way out
    Peony
    Nepeta
    Centranthus Ruber
    Geranium Nimbus
    Scented Geranium of unknown variety
    Oenothra (siskyu)
    Verbascum Southern Charm
    Oriental Poppy
    Dianthus
    Helianthemum 'Wisley Pink'
    Salvia 'May Night' first, then the rose colored one
    A new anemone tomentosa just planted from Bluestone
    Centaurea Montana
    Oak Leaf Hydrangea is just breaking bud.

(Some of these have really opened up in the past week, so my timing is a little off for your post).

In the shade bed, which is behind, I have some foamflower (I don't know why names are escaping me so much today), a columbine, lady's mantle is in heavy bud, and the endless summer hydrangea is starting to bloom.

• witsend22
    18 years ago

I have have all the normal things blooming for this time of year but..... My roses are so awesome this year. Twice as many buds as previous years and much larger flowers. amazing what some care and some fertilizer will do.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville