Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipersville_carol_gw

Need June blooms... what's flowering in your garden?

Pipersville_Carol
17 years ago

My garden is about to enter 2 weeks of solid green with very few flowers. I've yet to figure out what blooms in early June around here (and is deer resistant).

What's blooming in your garden right now?

Comments (27)

• murial
    17 years ago

Right now my False Indigo is blooming more purple than indigo, along with what my friend from Wisconsin sent me, she calls Bath Pinks which are light pink. After moving and moving them, they are finally happy in full sun.

Red Coral Bells have been blooming for about a week now along with the poppies. Happier now that they've been weeded.

Orange Agastache just opened up today. I planted them a few weeks ago. Hopefully as rabbit resistant as I've been promised!

Also my purple Iris that I brought with me when we lived on the Delaware. A little slice to remind me.

We have deer in our garden too, but they seem to like my Yucca and Hostas the best. I've surrounded a lot of the plants with herbs which seems to work for me.

Still have some trees yet to leaf out entirely though.

• blueheron
    17 years ago

Delphiniums, yarrow, foxgloves, echinacea "Big Sky Sundown," penstemon "Husker Red," jacob's ladder, dicentra eximia, clematis, roses, Stella D'Oro daylilies, balloonflowers, lupines, spiderwort and centaurea.

This is the time when I have lots of perennials blooming.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    17 years ago

I seem to have a similar problem, the garden always hits the green slump between the flush of spring and the start of summer..... or maybe it just seems that way. I think last week EVERYTHING was blooming, now it's more scattered.

coral bells, siberian iris, wiegela, oriental poppies. That would be a garden in itself until the roses and daylilies kick in... also columbines.
    Foxglove should be perfect right now. If the spidermites didn't mutilate the buds during that last hot-dry spell. Grrrr.

I'd love to have sucess with lupines and delphiniums right about now, but for me they've only been an expensive annual or biennial.

I think I need to add some dianthus and early roses. I like that idea.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    17 years ago

And do trees count? Kousa dogwood is awesome right now. WoW!

• dirtdiva
    17 years ago

The peonies are just beautiful. I picked a big bouquet yesterday! The dianthus is in full bloom too and looking great. Spiderwort is going full force too.
    My Nelly Moser is starting to fade and so are the iris. But the columbine is still blooming pretty good. (They bloom for a long time)
    One of the salvia is just starting to bloom. And the hosta alway look great now. I do have a lily blooming. (There are at least 5 flowers on one stem)

That's it, I think.

• corgilvr
    17 years ago

Roses, roses, and more roses. Yellow iris.

Lots of Ozark Sundrops. Want some?

• jiggreen
    17 years ago

here's what's blooming in my garden...

asiatic lilies
    daylilies
    columbine
    roses (red fairy, the fairy, what a peach, red freedom and sun sprinkles)
    false lupine
    astilbe
    coreopsis (tequila sunrise)

and a couple of my hostas are about to bloom

jiggreen

• westhighlandblue
    17 years ago

Dianthus, roses, (peonies were up mid-May but are gone, now), salvia, verbena, pansies (left over from Spring but still going strong), asters, marigolds, begonias, impatients, daylillies.

• chescobob
    17 years ago

1. Roses, even after rain-damage. I cut damaged canes and blooms.

2. Leptodermis.

3. Spiraea 'Magic Carpet'.

4. Itea 'Little Henry'.

5. Mountain Laurel 'Keepsake'.

• chescobob
    17 years ago

I forgot to mention. . .

6. Viburnum 'Winterthur'. I have two of them and both have their partner pollinators a few feet away from them.

7. Anthony Waterer and I think Neon Flash Spiraea too.

8. Pelargorium.

• Staci
    17 years ago

Columbines, Lupines, Iris, Dame's Rocket, Anemone, Clematis, Corn Flower, Peonies, Coreopsis, Dianthus, Spiderwort, Siberian Iris.

• Pipersville_Carol
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow! Thanks for the planting ideas. My garden must be a little bit colder than most. Daylilies and asiatics are weeks away from bloom. Peonies got smashed by last weekend's rain. Roses are fading, but Agastache is going strong.

Planting list so far: Dianthus, more Agastache, more Pelargonium (where deer can't get them).

Is Spiderwort the same thing as Cleome?

• gazania_gw
    17 years ago

I didn't see Nepeta 'Walkers Low' mentioned above. Also there are several Penstemons besides Huskers Red blooming now. Penstemon 'Pygmaeus' a very short ground cover type, and P.'Praire Dusk' and P.'Rondo Mix'

• murial
    17 years ago

My garden is behind too. I'm in a valley and always seem to be the last for anything to bloom. We had hail the other day and between that and the heavy rain all the peonies are down for the count.

I just looked in my book. It said Tradescantia is in the Spiderwort family. And that Cleome is called Spider Flower. Not sure since I've never seen any, but I hope that helps.

• Pipersville_Carol
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ah, that's right, Tradescantia. Thanks, murial.

I think Cleome is also called Snakeroot.

• Kathy46
    17 years ago

Carole,

I found spiderwort very invasive in my garden and am digging it all out.

Right now I have blooming

Scabiosa-pink mist
    evening primrose- sp ?? siskiyou
    nasturtiums cherry red (winter sown)
    coral bells
    roses
    cranes bill geranium
    petunias- (winter sown)
    geraniums-(pelgoriums) overwintered
    peonies-done
    money plant- done

nicotiana -soon (winter sown)
    zinnias-soon "
    bach buttons-soon "

My asiatic lillies won't bloom for a few weeks yet either.

Kathy

• melissas
    17 years ago

I've got daylilies, ice plant (delosperma), Penstemon Husker's Red, scabiosa, salvia May Night, yarrow, Mexican Evening Primrose, potentilla, clematis, spirea (just starting), and moonbeam coreopsis blooming.

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

carol, no, cleome is sometimes called a spider flower, but they have nothing in common except for green foliage.

my coreopsis is starting to open, my asiatics are going crazy. a few daylilies have opened. my peonies are so sad, the storms ruined them just as they were getting started, i'll miss that scent under the window.

some iris are still hanging on, veronica is just starting, salvia, dianthus, anenome, yarrow, sweet william, and a lonely shasta daisy bud.

earthly/maryanne

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

I know what you mean about those blank periods between early-mid spring bloomers and summer bloomers. A couple things I have were a bit earlier than normal due to the mild winter (eg., weigelas and honeysuckles, which would normally have carried over blooms into June). But for current blooms on perennials or shrubs from previous years (and not counting annuals or tender perennials), I have beautyberry, coral bells, & leucothoe blooming. A few things to come this month include asiatic lilies & bee balm. Some bulb/tuber plantings new this year that may show in June include a gloriosa lily and some calla lilies. I did plant some new perennials this year and these are already blooming.

Some additional suggestions - spirea (s. japonica) is blooming in the area right now as are campanula, and perennial snapdragon.

• naturenut_pa
    17 years ago

Dianthus, coreopsis, columbine, daisies, iris, roses, portulaca.
    Columbine at a stand still due to the dismal weather. Roses put up one flower each and then quit.
    Painted daisies seem to have had their day and are done, as well as bleeding hearts. Still have some flowers on the hellebores.

Asiatics look like they will have buds in about 2 weeks. Astillbe is just forming the tiniest of buds. The beginning of buds on the hollyhocks, too. Datura just started coming up.

Morning glory vines are all over the bamboo, but no buds yet.

I see no growth of wildflowers or any seeds i tossed outside this year. Seems if I don't start them indoors, I can forget about them. Well, except for datura and morning glory.

If you need dianthus in your garden, I'll have plenty for next year's swap. It spread all over. When it's humid outside, you'd think that somebody dropped a bottle of perfume in the driveway.

• alexander3_gw
    17 years ago

Lovage, thyme, clematis, alyssum, and of course, all the darned clover!

Alex

• naturenut_pa
    17 years ago

Well, you can scratch portulaca off the list.
    The deer must have come around thursday night and ate every single one of them.

• geoforce
    17 years ago

Foxglove is the June mainstay, with some of the many blue salvias as well.

George

• chescobob
    17 years ago

Some new blooms that I noticed:

9. Pink False Spirea. (these are nice delicate blooms.)

1. Deutschland False Spirea. (same as above but blooms are white.)

2. Abelia 'Edward Goucher' (these are very nice plants that throw out their arms in different directions.) (My 'rose creeks' are not blooming yet.)

I'm going out now and picking some roses for vases.

• hosf
    9 years ago

My 10 year old wiegela in full bloom. This was a particularly good year. Last year I did a light pruning after blooming, fertilized deeply.

• User
    9 years ago

Other things in bloom, but these get the most attention.

M. grandiflora.

• portia
    9 years ago

My first year here so it's been great to see what opens up each month.

Early June brought the kousa dogwood, asiatic lilies (neighbors), astilbe, roses, penstemon, oenothera (pink), veronica, spirea, mountain laurel, mock orange.

Later June we have annabelle hydrangea, lilies, astilbe, veronica and spirea still going, ostas, salvia.

It's been our most floriferous month yet. Now my dahlias are almost 2 feet tall and my own root roses bought earlier this year are starting to bud. I don't think I'll see any more hydrangea blooms from the 8 bushes already here because of that late frost, most of the growth came from the ground.

This prev owner had astilbe that seems to have over the last 20years naturalized and was never divided, as a result there are hundreds of plants all grown in together. I spent a good part of a day in May just moving plants that were budded just so that the rest had some room to breathe--thankfully it bounced back and everything bloomed. Now today I spent an hour digging roots out for my MIL, she'll get 8 giant 1-2 gallon pots full of pink and white and it looks like I made no dent at all in the patches. Come early fall I plan to really go at it and fill gallon pots and put them by the road, hopefully plant lovers will take them!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus