Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redwood1_gw

wholesale theft of the earth in pa ! !

redwood1
14 years ago

I was walking into my local garden center last week and mentioned to my girlfriend that the market for bagged top soil and compost products has taken off in the last several years. She said, of course with all the new housing developments and the way the developers strip the top soil, sell it and leave clay beind or, truck in something worse and dump it, these unsuspecting new homeowners have no choice but to amend there clay or whatever these thieves (developers)want to bring back. That discussion prompted questions to friends of mine and nurserymen I know. One friend told when she moved into her 5 acre property and the farmland around it was promptly sold, the developer assumed her land was part of the development and stripped her rich top soil(GOLD), not all five but about 1 acre, when she raised a fuss about it their solution was to bring a load of clay and dump it in a pile. She also had to have a new driveway put in because of the land that was sold around her house. The contractor conveniently showed up when she was not home trenched out the driveway, 150 feet long and guessing three feet deep, loaded it up and drove away. THAT WAS HER TOP SOIL!! Other people told me similar stories going on in Bucks county, Berks, Lancaster, Chester you get the idea. I personally witnessed it near Ephrata, Lancaster county this month. The developer brought the dump trucks and heavy equipment in stripped the soil and the rest is history. I believe it's a crime anywhere but especially in SE Pennsylvania some of, if not the best, top soil on earth. I know with all the problems in the world this probably doesn't even register but,I know it does with me and fellow gardeners and nature lovers. Can we do or have the time and resources to do anything about it? No, but that doesn't mean it doesn't matter. I consider myself an optimist but it's hard to stay that way when you see, right in front of your own eyes, the destruction of thousands of years of Gods green earth being raped. It makes me want read the Lorax by Dr. Seuss and cry myself to sleep. I don't like to write negatively on the gardening forum , but I had to get that off my chest. Thanks for listening. Tell us your stories or opinions.

Comments (6)

• dedtired
    14 years ago

I remember a documentary that said they were building housing developments on the finest farming soil in the nation -- Lancaster County.

It's a d@mn shame.

• redwood1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

dedpan, thanks for your input. Lancaster county PA is the most productive non irrigated agricultural county in the nation. I know people need a place to live, but greed drives much of the real estate development market. You have to ask yourself when does it end?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.pbs.org/journeytoplanetearth/hope/lancaster.html

• nhlivefreeordie
    14 years ago

Is it greed or something else that forces people to try to control others business?

• Carrie B
    14 years ago

This is standard practice just about everywhere, as far as I know. Certainly just as true in NY, NJ, MD and DE as it is here in PA.

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Your right to mind your own business ends when what you are doing endangers the long term security of others. Topsoil is a vital natural resource, one we need for our national security. If you study history, great civilizations fell due to depleting the soil around their settlements. Food=security, and concentrating food production to a few places seems destined to be a sitting target for disruption if times get tough, and any student of history will tell you that times do get tough off and on. I don't necessarily have a pat answer for this problem, but I'm not going to stick my head in the sand either! Greed is a pretty harsh word, it's more like just thinking about what I want today and what will make me a lot of money today and not caring a hoot about the future or the long term consequences of what we are doing. IMHO, that is EXACTLY how we ended up in our current financial crisis. We don't revere and reward saving and prudence anymore in our culture. There are those who tear down, and those who build up, and I tend to think gardeners are the builders. You've got to have a future orientation to plant something it seems! What's wrong with saying, "Hey wait a minute, we are killing the goose that laid the golden egg!" or even being the one lemming who stops and says, "Do we really want to keep marching forward?"

• earthworm
    14 years ago

Interesting.
    Bankers are not the only ones sick with greed...Maybe its all of us.
    And sloppy, slovenly, inferior workmanship....Why is this??
    I have learned that many connot be trusted, that supposedly grown men must be baby-sat...
    Its a crime to steal, no matter what is stolen(intellectual property, existing clean air and water, other things)..And the more people allow this, the worse it becomes..

Sponsored