Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodswalker88

Too much rain!

woodswalker88
11 years ago

A few months ago I was complaining about Drought... now we have been deluged with rain. I thought it was good, cause it was giving my new shrubs a head start for a looong summer... but my perennial garden is going nuts. Some of them are starting to look a bit rusty around the stems. (day lilies, columbine, liriope) Those mystery wildflowers from Lowes (cosmos?) are becoming so top-heavy that they are falling over & laying on the ground. It is looking like a jungle in there with gigantic stems curving about, smothering other plants, etc.

This is only my 2nd year as a gardener so I would just like to hear from veterans. I wonder 'What's next"? This is only the beginning of June & the whole summer is ahead. Will the plants just rot away, will they keep putting out new flowers, what happens to these plants that have overgrown themselves? I put in some stakes & tried to tie some of the plants upright... will they straighten back up? I have a patch of wildflowers that has grown to about 5 ft & is pushing against the viburnum & crape myrtle...should I thin them out?

Just like to hear some feedback about what has happened in other circumstances like this. Thanks!

Comments (5)

Sponsored