Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for cutting garden in partially sunny area.

Posted by vlf4230 z6 Pa (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 07 at 19:14

Does anyone have any suggestion for cutting flowers that grow well in about 4 hours of mid morning to early afternoon sun. Ummmm....grow AND flower I should add.

We'd love to go for the English Cottage look but not sure the area we have in mind is cut out for this.

I grew some dwarf cannas last year in this year and they did bloom so I doubt the area is hopeless.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. If you have personal experience growing in this amount of sun that would be great.

Thanks,

Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for cutting garden in partially sunny area.

There are lots of plants that would flower in part shade (astilbe, bleeding heart, violets, mountain laurel, hosta, speedwells, columbine) but I can't think of many that'd be good cut flowers.

Is the shade cast by a tree, or by a building? If it's a deciduous tree, you could plant daffodils for cutting. They'd bloom before the tree leaves out fully.

o

I have dahlias in a window box that gets about 4 hours of morning and midafternoon sun. They seem to be doing very well. Hydrangea should also do well, oakleaf hydrangea is a nice native, though there is a new hydrangea which bloom repeatedly on new wood. (All other hydrangea's bloom on old wood, which is why you don't want to cut back a hydrangea.) You might also try Globe Amaranth, Foxglove, and Butterfly Bush (traditionally a full sun plant, but mine blooms in a partially shaded area).

o

There is another hydrangea that does well in shade or sun and flowers on new wood. Try looking for Annabelle hydrangea.
It can be a little floppy but only because it flowers so much.... and the white flowers really light up a partially shaded area. I think you'll like it.
how about hostas? Some have nice flowers as well as leaves that can be cut. 'Royal standard' has pure white blooms that are fragrant too. I like this one more for it's blooms than it's foliage, plus it's indestructible (unless you have deer and voles). Hey I just learned that this was the first patented hosta back in 1965!
You might have luck with a few lilies. 4 hours might be enough sun. Other than that I'm out of ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: annabelle

o

Jim:
In part it depends on whether this is a dry or a moist area.

Some that work for me and are good for cutting: Columbines, Feverfew, German Chamomile, Black Eyed Susan.

You might experiment with flowers that are for both sun and shade.

Anita

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here