Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pagrower

Butterfly Bush

PAgrower
18 years ago

OK, here it goes. I researched every living thing I planted in my garden with the exception of one thing, a butterfly bush. I got this beauty at a roadside stand for $1. It was barely 6" tall. I planted it last summer in a sort of "focal" spot in my garden. I thought I might just leave it there until I found something to replace it. Well this little 6" orphan is approaching 7' high and 4-5' wide. Normally I would be overjoyed, but it is simply becoming too big for it's location. How well do these plants handle being moved? Can I cut it back in the fall and move it then or in the spring? I hate to lose it, but it just can not stay where it is. Thank you in advance for your help.

Comments (8)

• bulldinkie
    18 years ago

I cut mine back every year as they will get large.I do mine in fall.No problems.

• sween
    18 years ago

I'd cut it back in, oh, let's say September, then dig up the root system and move it to wherever you feel the urge. Actually, I don't think it makes much difference if you cut it back, or how far you do - it doesn't bloom on old wood. Any growth next year will be on new branches that will radiate from the roots. If left alone, it will just die back to soil level. Nice plants, good luck!

• zinnia_PA
    18 years ago

I had a monster like this too. The young little darlings look so innocent! I couldn't stand it where it was and cut it back and dug it up with a big root ball several summers ago, didn't wait for fall. I did keep it well watered. It did just fine and is now quite lovely now that it is in the right location.

• sween
    18 years ago

You could move this plant most any time, but come to think of it, doing it now would give it a chance to establish itself in its new location, which is a good deal for the plant. I only mentioned moving in it Fall so you'd get to enjoy it for the next couple months. Best I know, this is a very resilient perennial.

• witsend22
    18 years ago

cut it back in the spring before it begins to leaf out. But leave about one foot of the old stems. If you cut it like so it will produce more blooms but they will not be as long as the ones you would find on a plant that was not cut back. The reason for leaving it until spring is the branches trap leaves and then snow allowing the soil to absorb more water.

It is considered invasive here for the most part but cutting ity back helps to control it. The lighter colors also are not as winter hardy as the darker ones and may not survive winters as well so if it is taking over your yard consider replacing it with a lighter colored one so the winter helps keep it in check.

• wardw
    18 years ago

Yes, don't cut it back until you see a little new growth in spring, in April. Once the plant is established it will shoot up as much as 6 feet in a season, so you can cut it all the way back. The good thing about heavily pruned buddleas is you can deadhead them easily, which will extend their bloom period.

• shadylady_pa
    18 years ago

I moved mine either late last spring, or the fall before. It did fine. Unless you have something you desperately want to put in that spot, I would be inclined to let it bloom a little this year, and move it at the end of August or early Sept. when the temperatures are not so high. I believe that warm days, cool nights are what really encourage root growth, so moving it now might be a little stressful for it.

• bob6831
    18 years ago

Hi.
    I just got a butterfly bush (as a Fathers Day gift) and want to plant it in front of our LR bay window, so I can see butterflys from my LR chair. But, my wife is concerned about its roots being too strong and possibly impacting our water pipes near there. Also, will I be able to easily control its height and width? Also, I don't see any butterflys around it now (has flowers), is there something wrong with it?
    Thx.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz