Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Devil Eating Birds

Posted by chescobob z6b SEPA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 23, 06 at 19:30

I was looking at my roses and I noticed that one flower had about 8 devil beetles in it. A little later, I noticed a sparrow and a bluebird hovering near the flower and picking at it. The sparrow landed on the ground below the flower, then flew away to its nest behind a window shutter. Some happy babies were feasting on devil beetles.

It is the first time I saw this. I won't zap the devil beetles with insecticide now.

That is really a good feeling knowing the devil beetles are being devoured.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Devil Eating Birds

So I wasn't hallucinating!!...YAY..
I asked about birds eating JB's in the roses forum and got little response.
I had never noticed birds in the rose bushes before. But when the beetles arrived that's when I noticed the birds around the rose bushes.
Conicidence? or reason for a happy dance.
I'm so glad you posted about this.
Becky

o

Becky:

I was out working in my swamp (formerly a yard) today and I noticed several sparrows in my new 'Kwanzan' Cherry. Then I saw the devil beetles take flight from the tree. I looked and the devils were trying to swallow the tree but the sparrows were after them.

My roses are about 20 feet from the cherry tree and the sparrows then go to the roses and take the beetles out of the blooms. Sometimes they sit on a nearby rose branch and peck them. Other times, they hover and peck them. If the devils drop to the ground, the sparrows go down there and get them. After my new best buddies get a beak full of beetles, they go right to their nest and feed the kids.

o

Wow...now THAT'S high quality entertainment,Bob!!
Isn't nature somethin?
I pretty much have a no spray garden. I'm trying to attract butterflies and hummingbirds in addition to growing my roses. Not really successful so far. I think cause hubby is all about the lawn and so we have a lawn service come in and spray.
But nothing in the flower beds.
So I was really amazed to see the birds pecking at what I thought had to be the JB's.
Thanks so much for sharing your birdie story with us!
Becky

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here