Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Southeast PA--Zone 7?

Posted by woodswalker88 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 20:12

Greetings,
I just heard tell that southeastern PA has been "upgraded" to Zone 7?? Is this true?

Well I guess that is good...seeing as how some of the stuff I planted (and would like to have planted) is zone 7. Like those crepe myrtles.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Southeast PA--Zone 7?

• Posted by carrieb 7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 29, 12 at 11:14

Here in the city, given the urban heat sink, I'm pretty solidly in Z 7, further north, or in an unprotected spot, etc., would more likely be closer to Z 6. This area is pretty much on the border, so your mileage may vary. The "zip code zone finders" sometimes list me as Z 6b and sometimes as Z 7a. If there's a Z 7 plant you want, try it, as long as you won't be upset if it doesn't make it.

Some people overwinter figs and rosemary around here - but a really cold winter can set back or even kill either of those plants, even if planted in a protected spot.

o

i live in southwest PA and ive been in zone 7 and 6 around me, for sometime

o

I know this is a little late to the party, but here is the url to the 2012 USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map. On the interactive version of the map, you can click down to about one-quarter mile scale.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2012 USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map

o

I have Z7 surviving plants along the back of my house open to full sun facing southwest, a microclimate. Otherwise Z6 to 6B in the rest, depending...as CarrieB says.

o

I have Z7 surviving plants along the back of my house open to full sun facing southwest, a microclimate. Otherwise Z6 to 6B in the rest, depending...as CarrieB says.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here