Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mickeddie_gw

Why are my Viburnum leaves so teeny weeny?

mickeddie
16 years ago

Hi,

In March I purchased 6 various Viburnums from a Bucks County Nursery. They include Mowhawk, Burkwoodi, Summer snowflake and Cranberry. All were dormant and about 5 ft. tall when planted. Some had flowers, others not so much. But all of them have leaves that are so much smaller than those I've seen on other viburnum. They probably are about 1" wide x 1-1/2" long. Is it still too early? Are they too young? How could six of different variety all have such small leaves? What don't I know?

Thanks so much for your help.

Thanks,

Michelle

Comments (7)

• krischic
    16 years ago

Hi Michelle,
    I planted 3 summer snowflakes in the fall. My friend told me such great things about the flowers, foliage, size, etc. but I've been a little disappointed. They haven't taken off like I expected and the flowers come and go. They are still the same size as when I planted them. My leaf size is the same as yours though. I don't know what to expect from these things, but I hope it gets better....
    KC

• krischic
    16 years ago

Hi Michelle,
    I planted 3 summer snowflakes in the fall. My friend told me such great things about the flowers, foliage, size, etc. but I've been a little disappointed. They haven't taken off like I expected and the flowers come and go. They are still the same size as when I planted them. My leaf size is the same as yours though. I don't know what to expect from these things, but I hope it gets better....
    KC

• Pipersville_Carol
    16 years ago

Are you keeping them well-watered? This spring has been really dry, at least by me. I've been watering new plants ever other day. What's the sun exposure? Are they planted in heavy clay soil?

5 feet tall is a nice big plant size. But sometimes larger plants take a little more time to settle in and start growing after replanting.

• ladyslppr
    16 years ago

It is common for newly planted plants to grow stunted leaves at first. I thinkk this is correlated with poorly developed roots. As the roots become more established in the new location, you should begin to see full-sized leaves emerging from the shrubs. I take this as an indication that the shrubs are actually growing in the new location. I seee the same thing with cuttings. Cuttings will often produce small leaves before roots appear; it is only when large leaves appear that I know roots are growing.

• mickeddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your comments. The shrubs are growing in full sun, but in mostly clay soil. I water them regularly, but probably with not enough frequency. At least they are growing. I have 1 Viburnum that just died before it ever leafed out and one that is now JUST beginning to do so. I'll try to be patient for a few years to watch them really start to grow.

Michelle

• Pipersville_Carol
    16 years ago

Given the hot weather we've been having, and the large size of your new plants, it wouldn't hurt to water every other day. Give them a good thorough drink at the roots, at least a gallon. And it really helps to build up a low ring of earth around the base of each plant to keep the water from running off.

• mombo
    16 years ago

At least you have leaves. The deer ate the entire top of my plant. Oh bother!