Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bella_trix_gw

Has anyone seen this beetle mixed in with your japanese beetles?

bella_trix
16 years ago

I found this beetle out on my beans. Apparently, six male japanese beetles are absolutely sure she's a really big female japanese beetle. I think they are sadly mistaken (doesn't seem to be slowing them down any). Does anyone know what she is? The spot between her head and wings is an irridescent green at the right angle. She also has gold/brown antennae that she tucks in when I try to take her picture. Has anyone found something similar in their beetle traps?

Thanks for any help,

Bellatrix

Comments (16)

• ninamora
    16 years ago

It's a copper colored June bug. I have had them in increasing numbers for at least three years. They seem to like my daylilies, so I just go knock them in the soapy water right along with my japanese beetles. I am worried about the increasing numbers. These guys are huge and can destroy many daylily flowers in one afternoon.
    I'm in Lancaster county by the way. Where are you finding yours?
    Nina

• bella_trix
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Whoops, I set mine loose. I finally found it as the grape pelidnota (and about seven other names, probably copper colored June bug included), but read it wasn't very destructive to plants. It mainly did light damage to grapevines. I found it in Pottstown, so I'm not too far from you. Now I'll have to keep a close eye on my daylilies! Thanks for the information.

Bellatrix

• aspenbooboo41
    16 years ago

Hmmph! I had those guys last year (Lehigh County) but didn't know what they were. Haven't seen them this year yet, but thanks for the heads up & if I see them I'll be sure to introduce them to the soapy swimming pool of death.

• citybomkin1
    16 years ago

It is actually a Grapevine Beetle (Pelidnota Punctata). This is the first year I have seen them here in Lancaster. I at first thought they were immature June Beetles but I did some research. They were on my grapes with hordes of Japanese beetles, similar to your picture. I also found that what I called June Beetles might be called Green Fruit Beetle or Fig Eater (Cotinus Mutabilis). Spraying Sevin on my grapes took care of my beetles as my grape leaves were turning into lace.

• jennyandretti
    16 years ago

Yup, it's a grapevine beetle. We found one recently cavorting with JB's in our backyard last week.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's that bug website

• mccordb
    16 years ago

We found this exact beetle with a bunch of other Japanese beetles on our grapevine. This beetle was burrowing unto the ground at the stem of the grapevine. Fast digger too! And we have hard dirt due to lack of rain. We live in Sandusky, OH. Our Japanese beetles this year are the worst we have seen. Eating EVERYTHING! Ortho and Sevin works here.

• silent1pa
    16 years ago

They're here in chester county as well. Though I feel my JB problem was worse last year and sevin seemed to keep it down if only a little this year. So maybe you who use sevin will do better next year.keep your fingers crossed.

• sarahbn
    16 years ago

I saw them in 2005 on my cardinal flower. I think the dry weather brings them out It sure is big! I live in Montgomery county just over the Philadelphia line.

• lindamfish_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

Yes, I live in CT and this beetle has appeared with millions of the other Japenese beetles. We have found a super size Japenese Beetle too. It is about twice the size of the other beetles. Are the super size Japenese Beetles older ones. Since my husband lost his job he spends much of his day with his pan of soapy water catching thousands of them. I think he does not smoke as much so that's the bright side...

• nhlivefreeordie
    14 years ago

LFish, the huge JP that you speak of, may just be a scarab beetle, there is a couple specie that look very similar to JPs but for the size.

• rdback
    14 years ago

Yep. Sometimes called a Green June Beetle (or bug).

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Green June Beetle / Bug

• ladyslppr
    14 years ago

I don't think the giant japanese beetles are actually Japanese Beetles. I think, like a lot of insects, all Japanese Beetles are more or less the same size. THere are many, many species of beetles, and most are more or less harmless. One nice thing about the large, night-flying beetles is that they are an important food for large, noctunal predators like Whip-poor-wills and Screech Owls (screech owls eat lots of insects in the summer)

• jkartesz
    9 years ago

I live between Routes 5 & 20 in Fairview, PA (just south of Lake Erie). I saw this same kind of huge bug hanging out with a Japanese Beetle (just like in the above pics) on my Catawba grape vine. After taking it in to show the wife & kids, I Googled it & found this thread. Thanks guys!

• stac5455
    9 years ago

I just saw the grapevine beetle for the first time here in Butler County. Like everyone else it was with my japanese beetles on my grapevines.

Stacy

• Karen Karsseboom
    last year

I have a grapevine here in Maryland and this is the first year that I have seen this beetle on my grapevine. I tend not to kill any insects that I find. There is already too much destruction of insects, especially our bees which we need for pollination. This is all a part of God's plan, lets let Him take care of them.

• HU-586456993
    last year

I live in Appleton, Wisconsin. Yesterday, I found one on my grapevine as I was knocking of the Japanese beetles into the 'bucket of death.' I took pictures of the beetle as I had never seen one before. I let it live as it was unique and there was only one of it compared to the hundreds of Japanese beetles that were stripping my grapevine.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?