Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! What's eating my Snapdragons?!!!

Posted by leslybgood z5 PA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 20:32

Google was no help, so I'm hoping the gardening gurus here can solve this mystery... My snapdragons are being attacked. A places say no animal will eat them because they are "toxic." Well, something is eating mine and the weird part is--it's the flowers only--not the stocks. I also had some Mexican Shellflower it didn't have a chance to grow blooms--something ate the grasslike greenery down to the base. I suspected a cat did that as my neighbor's cat is always in the front garden (moles) and likes chewing on grasslike plants (bad kitty!). I wonder if Elmer Fudd is available? :) Thanks!

P.S. I don't suspect deer as I have a gigantic garden with wall-to-wall flowers and nothing else has been disturbed (or trampled).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! What's eating my Snapdragons?!!!

did you notice any inchworms? Nicotina and petunias always loose flowers from flower eating caterpillars. They usually eat the seed pod and the bloom and leave the stalks and leaves alone.

o

Thanks for your response, kato_b. Nope, didn't see any inchworms. It was a pretty large section of Snapdragons (about 10" in diameter) that was taken out. And, it was such total annihilation that I didn't even suspect The Very Hungry Caterpillar :) I'll give it a closer look, though.

o

hah hah.... I should have known the very hungry caterpiller didn't get to snapdragons until Sunday and you posted this already on Wednesday!

If it was a patch of total annihalation I would blame something bigger like deer or rabbit. Or blame the neighbors cat.... cats are always up to something around here, I'm sure mischievious snapdragon snatching wouldn't be beyond them.

Or blame the neighbor! Snapdragons are great cut flowers.

o

Exactly the same thing happened my snapdragons only this afternoon. I noticed around lunchtime that one snapdragon had been eaten right to the stalks. There was one 30com high stalk remaining on the adjoining plant and I made a mental note to check on it when I got home that evening - but when I got back it was already stripped bare to the stalk - and not a single petal or piece leftover in sight!

Like you I've checked all the websites and they all say they're not edible, or it may be bugs etc etc

Btw I live on a busy road - no deer for miles
Am now fearful for the rest of my garden - and another crop of tasty snapdragons around the other side of the house

Help!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here