Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyberianblonde

question for Zeffyrose

cyberianblonde
17 years ago

Hi Florence,

I look at the pictures of your beautiful roses and sigh.... so lovely.

I have a question tho.

Did I read somewhere that you put hollytone on your rosebushes?

I also give mine coffee grounds and banana peels.

Care to share any secrets with us new rose growers?

I too live in Bucks County so I believe we probably have about the same kind of growing conditions.

Also what are your favorite kind of roses and are there any that scent the entire garden. Mmmmmmm....sounds heavenly.

Thanks so much for your help.

Becky

Comments (2)

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

Hi Becky---Nice to meet you.

I did use Hollytone one year because it was a little cheaper and then I read that Rosetone has something extra in it that roses need so I bought a big bag of Rosetone.

We go to Davis Feed Mill in Rushland --it is cheaper there and I also get a big bag of Alfalfa.

We have a Starbucks here in Yardley---everytime my DH goes by he picks up whatever they have in the basket---He has picked up about 60 bags this year---the worms just love it--.
    About my roses----I like most all kinds but prefer the ones that survive well in my very shady yard.

How far are you from Yardley???

Some of my once-bloomers do perfume the whole yard---just delicious. they weren't too good this year with all the rain but still the perfume has been heavenly. One of these days I'm going to make a list of my roses---LOL LOL

We just chopped a lot from one of our New Dawn Bushes---it was overpowering the arbor----

I don't use any sprays so my garden is "survival of the fittest"---LOL

You are welcome to cuttings of any of my roses if you are interested in propagating------Most of my Zephirine Drouhin roses are cuttings from one bush as are the New Dawn bushes-----the spring flush is pretty much over now but some are just coming into bloom.

I don't have many Hybrid Tea roses---but MacCartney rose has been gorgeous ---very fragrant--Hot Cocoa and Lafter seem to be very hardy.

I have very little sun which makes rose growing difficult but some are doing pretty well.

Keep in touch--it would be nice to meet a rose-lover in this area.

Florence

• cyberianblonde
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Florence,
    It was so lovely of you to answer my question.
    I live in Bensalem so I'm not too far from you.
    I have to be quite picky about the roses I put in my yard because we have so many large trees that it too is quite shady. I've been begging my husband to take some down but with no luck...oh well maybe someday.
    Oh and yes if you could list some of your roses that would be perfect!
    Are there any very fragrant OGR that rebloom?
    Sorry for all the questions but I just love gardening and roses especially and you seem to know so much about them.
    About the propogating, I've never done that. I tried once and it didn't work for me. Any advice?
    Thanks so very much.
    Becky

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County