Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annld

Ready for the devil beetles

annld
16 years ago

I decided to get a jump on the Japanese beetles this year, and I have already put my traps out. I hadn't seen any on my shrubs, but today, I did see a few in the bottom of the trap. They're heeeeeere! Maybe not in droves yet, but it's time to man your battle stations!

Comments (19)

• westhighlandblue
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Last year, they feasted on my Crepe Myrtle. I just let the little suckers eat all they wanted. Eventually the Crepe Myrtle grew new leaves and the little suckers disappeared. Before I try this again, I'd like to know, has anyone actually lost a plant to Japanese Beetles?

• bella_trix
    16 years ago

Last week I found one crushed, dead Japanese beetle neatly balanced on an eye-level bean leaf. I'm still trying to figure out that one. My only guess is that a grackle caught the first Pottstown Japanese Beetle and then accidentally dropped it on my bean plant. Very weird. I haven't seen a live one yet.

In other JP news, the robins last week were stuffing themselves on JB larvae, so I'm guessing that the larvae are moving closer to the surface. Also, my mother's chickens in Upper Bucks County seem to think the JB are here. Last year, the chickens ate every JB at chicken level on her grapevines. We'd help the chickens out by knocking the higher JBs on the ground. The chickens love them. In the last few days, the chickens keep hovering around the grapevine, looking up. When I walked over to the grapevine, the start talking up a storm and looking a me like "where are they??". It's funny - pretty smart for a chicken.

Last year my mom's plum tree was covered in JBs. Then a flock of grackles swarmed the tree and ate them ALL. It was amazing.

Good luck this year, may the JBs be light,
    Bellatrix

• gshann
    16 years ago

They've hit Downingtown, but not very hard. I have only about 2 dozen in a trap. Haven't seen any swarms like I did last year. I haven't had problems in the past, and I hope that it stays that way!! I think I will put up my second trap.

• ninamora
    16 years ago

They have arrived in Lancaster County. Last night I found the first 5. My bucket of soapy water is ready. I love to make sure my Japanese Beetles get the spa treatment they deserve.
    Nina

• floragal
    16 years ago

We haven't seen JB's or even any blackspot on the roses yet here in NEPA, and they both arrived last year on June 12. My DH is getting edgy - picking JB's is one of his favorite pastimes. Wandering around the garden flipping them into his coffee can of soapy water, picking black-spotted leaves, enjoying the scents and sights and sunshine is a zen-like experience for him, and relieves his stress. More power to him I say! And, no, I don't rent him out.

While we haven't lost any plants to the JB's, they leave big dead patches of lawn and totally ruin every rose bloom. And that's a no-no! I'm certainly not growing roses because I enjoy the thorns...

So they have to go.

• pagirl
    16 years ago

Is now a good time to apply milky spore? I had a terrible problem with beetles last summer here in Reading. I did put down milky spore for the first time late last fall. Just wondering if I should go for a follow up now. I haven't seen any beetles yet.

• gshann
    16 years ago

Here's some FAQ from the St. Gabriel's website. Seems like a miracle cure, but it will take a little time to work...

Q: How fast does the Spore work and how long does it last?

A: Milky Spore begins working as soon as it is applied as long as grubs are feeding. Once grubs are infected they will multiply the Spore by several billlion times and spread it further. In warm climates good control can occur in one to three years. In colder areas like New England, three to five years. Once established in a lawn, Milky Spore has been know to last 15-20 years.

Q: Will freezing ruin the spore: What about heavy rains?

A: No, Milky Spore is not affected by freezing or other adverse environmental conditions. Heavy rain may wash away newly applied Spore dust necessitating retreatment.

Q: Will fertilizer or chemical pesticides such as Diazinon affect the Spore?

A: No, Milky Spore is not affected by fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides or other lawn chemicals. They may all be applied at the same time.

Q: Can I use it in the vegetable garden?

A: Yes, Milky Spore is harmless to food crops. It is not a chemical pesticide. It may be used in gardens, around pools and wells.

Q: Should I keep our pets off the lawn?

A: Milky Spore does not affect pets, beneficial insects, fish, bees, birds, other animals, plants or man. It is non-toxic.

Q: Can I mix the Spore with water and spray it?

A: No, the Spore dust must remain concentrated and applied in spots. Do not apply it with fertilizer spreaders or grass seed spreaders.

Q: Can I cut my grass after applying the Spore?

A: No, do not mow your grass until the Spore dust has been watered into the soil by rainfall or sprinkling by water hose for 15 minutes or longer.

Q: What if I treat my yard and my neighbor doesn't?

A: Your lawn will be protected even if you are surrounded by untreated property. Eventually, the Spore will creep next door into adjacent areas by natural movement.

Q: Won't beetles fly in from my neighbor's yard?

A: An adult beetle feeds only during it's first two weeks. By the time they fly in from adjacent areas, any grubs laid will be affected by the Spore.

Q: What about Moles?

A: Eliminating grubs with Milky Spore often cause Moles and skunks to feed elsewhere. Unfortunately, they may head for your neighbor's untreated yard instead. Milky Spore does not affect Q: Can I have too many grubs?

A: If you are rapidly losing your lawn due to too many grubs, more than 10 per square foot, you may be wise to use an insecticide along with Milky Spore.

Q: How do I know if I have beetle grubs?

A: Grubs feed on the roots of your grass which can become brown and die. Simply lift the dead grass and look for white larvae curled into the shape of a "C" about the size of a penny. Active grubs can completely destroy a lawn. use Milky Spore for safe, long-lasting control.

Q: Do beetle larvae feed more aggressively in fall?

A: Yes, grubs in fall are in the first instar stage and are feeding for growth to store body fat for winter. In the spring, grubs reach 3rd instar prior to molting and do not require as much food.

Q: Are grubs infected by Milky Spore in spring when rising to the surface following hibernation?

A: Grubs become infected by swallowing a spore. They do not become infected by rubbing up against spores or passing through them. Since grubs feed less in Spring, the incidence of infection is not as great as in fall.

Q: What are the application rates for Milky Spore?

A: Milky Spore powder must be applied in teaspoon amounts every four feet in rows four feet apart creating a grid pattern. Milky Spore spreader mix must be applied three times a year for two years with a drop spreader to be spread successfully.

Q: Can I broadcast the Spreader mix?

A: No, the powder is too light to be used with a spreader. It must be placed in concentrated areas on the lawn and that is why it must be spread with a drop spreader.

Q: Can I wait to water in the Spore?

A: We suggest that you water in the spore as soon as it is done being applied. Direct sunlight (UV rays) can damage the spore and be a cause for retreatment.

Q: What is the difference between the Spreader mix and the powder?

A: The main difference is that in using the six past spreader mix program you are essentially spreading the spore over an entire lawn rather than in concentrated areas. In doing this the number of spores in any one location in any one location is significantly less than the concentrated spot method. Grubs become infected by swallowing a spore and this occurs by happenstance when feeding on grass roots. The more spores in a given area, the greater chance for infection. Each infected grub dies and releases 3 billion new spores into the soil.

Q: How do I know if I have Japanese Beetle Grubs?

A: St. Gabriel Laboratories provides a free grub analysis for it's customers. Simply place six grubs in a non-crushable container with some moist earth and grass roots. Don't punch any holes in the container as grubs do not need much air. Send the container to:

Free Grub Identification Program
    St. Gabriel Laboratories
    14540 John Marshall Hwy.
    Gainesville, Va. 20155

Q: What is the shelf life of Milky Spore?

A: Milky Spore has unlimited shelf life as long as it is stored in a cool dry place.

Q: What if I get Milky Spore in my eyes? What if I breathe it in?

A: No cause for concern. Milky Spore is not a chemical pesticide. The only thing that Milky Spore affects is Japanese Beetle Grubs. However, if you do get it in your eyes, simply wash the eye out with water to avoid irritation by dust particles.

• caliloo
    16 years ago

UGH! I saw the first 3 of the season yesterday.

Alexa

• gshann
    16 years ago

They're all over my 2 traps. Quiet now at 4:30, but between 10 and 2 they were swarming. Hopefully they all made it into the traps, which are getting pretty full. I'm making a difference, however small. I've noticed birds everywhere in my back yard for the past 2 weeks. They must be helping me pick them off. Didn't think blue jays went after them, but it sure looks like it. They're all over the place too...

• chescobob
    16 years ago

Death and pain to devil beetles. I saw a couple so far in SW Chester County. When I was digging earlier this Spring, I found less larvae in the ground. I put down milky spore two years ago in the Fall and put grub control down in June.

I did get blackspot because I didn't spray the roses for about 3 weeks. Now, I am fighting that with Bayer.

• mombo
    16 years ago

My husband and I were taking a walk around the garden and saw our first beetle of the year. Naturally it was on the white raspberry bush. So up with the traps. Last year I tried to do without the traps and we spent many hours with a can of soapy water. Then because I waited we drove all over creation trying to find traps. So this year I am ready!!. Can't count on grub killer alone.

• gshann
    16 years ago

I was definitely in the same boat last year. Didn't put up traps, and there was a period of a week or so last year where they were unbearable. Not that I have anything really tasty for them, but just walking outside you would get bombarded. Then when I went to look for traps, there weren't any to be found for miles. I actually saw a ball of them (had to be almost 20) drop from the swingset onto the ground and explode. So this year I put up two traps (one really early) and it hasn't been as bad. I've changed bags once, but I hate when I get rain water in the traps, because they stink to the heavens after two days. I hope the stench doesn't drive them away (didn't seem to this past weekend). But I've taken out several hundred. Hopefully before they "went to seed"...

• annld
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well clearly, the traps will not be enough. The beetles are swarming all over my myrtles and my purple leaf plum shrub. It's almost biblical! So I just spent a half-hour soaking every leaf with Sevin spray. I hate to do that, but I can't let the devil beetles win! I saw a lot of them drop, but I know their friends will be back tomorrow.

• Tracy Brant
    16 years ago

You guys are scarin' the heck outta me. I only saw four, so far. Three on a rose bush and one on the neighboring eggplant. I have only a little bit of grass (new sod last year) for them to hatch in. My few roses seem to be the only thing that interests them.

What should I do for low-level beetle battle? The soapy water thing? When is the best time to look for them?

• gshann
    16 years ago

They seem to be most active around my area between 10am and 3pm. Put up bags 5 and 6 today. It seemed to be the most active day for them yet. I took the littlest one for a walk, and could go three houses without one checking us out.

• Tracy Brant
    16 years ago

I made a soapy water bucket out of a milk jug and went out today - now that I am looking for them, I see them. Just 120 or 15, but more than I thought, on the daisies and roses. I feel so sorry for you suburban folks with acres of lawn garden.

• floragal
    16 years ago

Well, they're showing up here, but not nearly in the numbers we saw last year. I guess all that diligent picking the past few years is paying off! Hubby gets 15 or 20 a day - much less the the 50 or more he's gotten in past years at this time.

And darn, the blackspot is starting to show up despite my spraying this year. I was told by a gardening friend to spray milk-water on them weekly. She swears by it, but me? Not the best results.

M

• jennyandretti
    16 years ago

They've arrived in town here in Lancaster! Those buggers always attack two young serviceberry trees like it's ten feet of chocolate (but not Hershey's!). I reluctanly sprayed them with Sevin again this year and they stopped almost immediately. Has anyone had luck with preventative maintenance using a "natural" product like milky spore?

• gshann
    16 years ago

I bagged a huge "crop" of them between Friday and Sunday (easily over 1,000). But yesterday a fresh bag only yielded about 2 dozen. Could it be the heat, or are they starting to disappear for the season? I have one bag left for my two traps; I'd hate to run out before they're done for the year...

Sponsored