Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ferns

Posted by maizeylou nepa (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 17, 09 at 22:06

I live in Monroe county,PA. Our lot is partially wooded and I would like to promote fern growth in that area. I know it needs to be cleaned up - downed branches etc. but I need to know what I can do to encourage the straggly fern we do have to fill in. My searches have only come across growing fern by spore collection. I would appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ferns

Hi maizeylou,

The best way to encourage your fern growth is to first identify what kind of fern you have growing in your wooded area.

Ferns are usually characterized as clumping ferns or colonizing ferns. It sounds like you have a clumping fern.
Clumping ferns don't naturally create that "carpet of ferns" effect like some other ferns, and mainly grow in scattered clumps.

If the soil your ferns are growing in is rocky or sandy, and well-drained (not too swampy, marsh-like, or boggy) you may have Christmas fern (Polystichum acrostichoides). It grows in the Pocono mountain area and Delaware Water Gap area in rocky, wooded places. Christmas fern is a clumping fern, and does not tolerate clay soils or excessive water.

It could also be a Marginal woodfern (Dryopteris marginalis), which is also a clumping fern.

If you can upload a photo of your fern and post this question on GardenWeb's "Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams" forum at the link below, someone on that forum may be able to help you identify what kind of fern it is. They can also tell you how to best multiply your fern, either by spores or by division. People often multiply clumping ferns like the Christmas fern by division rather than by spores.

If you can't post a photo, just describing the fern and general conditions of your wooded area (rocky and well-drained, boggy, swampy, sandy soil, clay soil, moist humus-rich forest soil, by a stream, etc.) will help with identification.

Identifying the kind of trees the fern is growing under could be helpful as well (mostly conifers like pines, or mostly deciduous trees like oak and maple).

Some other ferns of the Pocono mountain area and Delaware Water Gap area include:

MOIST WOODLAND AREAS:
Eastern hayscented fern (Dennstaedtia punctilobula)

Lady fern (Athyrium filix-femina)

STREAMBANK & WET AREAS:
Sensitive fern (Onoclea sensibilis)

Royal fern (Osmunda regalis)

Cinnamon fern (Osmunda cinnamomea)

MOIST, ROCKY AREAS:
Northern maidenhair fern (Adiantum pedatum)

CONIFER AREAS:
Evergreen Wood Fern (Dryopteris intermedia)

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here