Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
so the weather we've been having is NOT normal right?

Posted by leucomelas pittsburgh (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 6, 05 at 22:21

I just moved to Pittsburgh a year ago and I tried growing sweet peas (lathyrus odoratus). I used to live in Baltimore and was able to usually get these guys to start flowering around Early-Mid may. So I had about a month before they crumped under hot weather.

This year, I planted my sweet peas in pots out in march. They are just coming into bloom now. I'm thinking I have a week and the 90 degree weather is just upon us.

Someone please tell me that this is not normal and that normally we have a more temperate period. I LIVE for sweet peas.

Ken

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: so the weather we've been having is NOT normal right?

Okay. This is not normal. Normally we have a more temperate period.

Okay, you believe me right? Actually, this was an unusually cool and damp spring. And last summer was really unusual in that we had only one 90 degree day all year.

I think I can say that you'll find the weather here much less predictable than Philly. Too far from the ocean for that wonderful moderating influence.

o

90-ish year round for our highs would be great!!!!

o

Our spring this yr. was terrible, cool & rainy. Usually in May we start to see temps in 70's & 80's. Not this yr. But finally in June, we are having good garden weather. When it doesn't rain for while, I water the heck out of my garden though. HOpe you enjoy our pittsbugh weather!!

o

I don't know if the words "normal" and "Pittsburgh weather" should ever really be used in the same sentence. :)

o

Normal is whatever you get. Not uniform is normal in PA.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here