Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geoforce_gw

Rose Rosette Disease (RRD) sighted in Northern Delaware

geoforce
18 years ago

A month or so ago, someone asked about RRD in this area. I answered that with a followup saying I had not seen it in my area yet. Well....

Yesterday as I was stopped in traffic while enroute to work I noticed that the Multiflora outside my car window was very strange looking. Reddish and stunted new leaves, as if they were burned. I did a Google image search and that's it for sure. This location is actually just across the Delaware border to the west of Hockessin, DE. and appears to involve MF along a stretch about 1/4 mile long. That's the first I had seen this and it's scary looking stuff.

George

Comments (14)

• chescobob
    18 years ago

George:

Thanks for the report. It sounds like it was at or near Route 7 just over the Delaware line.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

The multiflora roses are blooming up and down the interstates and rail lines now.... I'm thinking RRD will be spreading pretty quick. I only heard about it last year and it sounds pretty nasty.
    Kato

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

That multiflora has been growing for years. So have many, many rose gardens in the area that have not been infected. No need for total panic, just keep out a watchful eye.

thanks George.

• chescobob
    18 years ago

I drive along Route 1 several times a week in western Chester County. I keep my eye trained on the bushes on both sides of Route 1 and I have not identified any RRD infected multiflora yet. Of course, watching while driving at a decent speed is not the best way to identify RRD.

I will be driving into Lancaster County over the next few weeks where a nursery owner claimed to have seen RRD on a multiflora last year. I will keep my eyes open for any signs of RRD.

• sandymig
    18 years ago

It's been a while since I posted on this forum, but I saw this post and it is a topic of interest to me. I have experienced RRD on my property. I was the first confirmed case in Eastern PA back in 2002. I reported it to a woman in Georgia that is tracking the progression of RRD and she confirmed my suspicions, it was a positive ID of RRD.

I am posting a link to pictures that I took if anyone is interested in seeing what the disease looks like (it still gives me the creeps looking at the pics, yuck!). It was on one of my favorite roses, an Austin rose named "The Prince".

Here is a link that might be useful: RRD pictures

• wolfe15136
    18 years ago

I do not appear to be the owner of that website. Drat.

• Pipersville_Carol
    18 years ago

I"ve got a large climbing rose that has suddenly yellowed and died. What are the symptoms of RRD again?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

Carol, the stems grow twisted and red, and the foliage looks distorted. It is sometimes referred to as "Witches Broom". The plant continues to grow. What you describe sounds like it could be vole (little, evil, horrible rodents that eat roots) damage. Did the plant move around easily when you move it? Did you check the roots?

• marcia_m
    18 years ago

In addition to distorted foliage, you may see swollen stems, stems larger than the canes they are growing out from. In my Yahoo photo album there are two photos of roses in my garden that were infected with the disease. Henri Martin is a moss rose and New Dawn is a climbing rose. I removed these roses and watch others for signs of the disease. Also, I decided not to plant any other roses because of the infected multiflora growing in woods nearby.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yahoo album

• ringaround
    13 years ago

Is this RRD? It suddenly appeared this year on eight bushes, all located near a pine tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: picasaweb,google.com/debharrvey/roses

• loretta5_gw
    13 years ago

It has appeared in my Philadelphia garden this year too. First as the top of one stem on a knockout rose and then all over an old climber that was on the property when we moved here. I cut the one stem off the knockout and it appears to be fine. The climber will need more than that. I'm going to look up what needs to be done.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    13 years ago

Ringaround, I'm afraid that, unless someone has been using a lot of Roundup or a similar herbicide in the area, yes, that is RRD. See the eBook below. The author is Ann Peck, anntn6b here on GardenWeb, and you may want to post a link to your photos on the Roses Forum, Ann will see them.

Loretta5, cutting off that one stem might not be enough. See the eBook.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Rosette EBook by Ann Peck

• deckarddonna73_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

With RRD, is there red watery substance at the top of the red leaves in the morning dew? It looks like my bush has RRD, and I have noticed early morning, red water dripping from the very inner top of leaves dripping on other leaves.Cecil county is right at the PA./DE. line.

• loretta5_gw
    12 years ago

Diane-nj you were so right. Cutting the bad stem off was of no use whatsoever. The disease has shown itself again on the knockout and on a Rosa Glauca nearby. They are both slated for root pruning. Too bad because I love having both of these roses in my garden.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!