Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Voracious deer

Posted by naturenut_pa z6 PA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 28, 06 at 23:08

I don't think I can express my anger and frustration enough.

This is usually the 'safe' time of year for plants. There is so much in the woods for deer to eat..multi-flora rose, raspberry, loosestrife, touch-me-nots...that the gardens are safe till Sept/Oct.

But even the plants that deer won't normally touch are being chomped: yucca, columbine, sedum.

I'm ready to buy a shotgun and a new freezer for all the venison.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Voracious deer

This is my worst season for them. They eat about 90% of the buds on my daylilies, and I haven't seen a flower on my real lilies in the past three years. Yesterday I had to run one out of my daylily beds 3 times in broad daylight, the same deer. I walked up to about 10 foot from her before she would even move. The reason they come to the garden of course is that the only thing left in the woods after their years of overgrazing are things like bittersweet and multiflora which they will eat only as a last resort. All the good stuff has been killed off years ago.

George

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here