Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wisteria Tree or Vine?

Posted by vlf4230 z6 Pa (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 08 at 23:32

I just picked up what was labeled as a Purple Wisteria Tree at a local plant auction. I am not familiar with the trees so I am trying to figure out if it really is a Wisteria tree or is it really the vine. I'm fine with either I just need to know so that I plant it in an appropriate spot.

The three main truncks are currently tied together and, when held vertical, reach about 5'. These main trunks can not support themselves and I will have to stake them if it really is a tree. There are also several very slender vines / tentacles that are reaching out.

Are there any features distinctive that vary from the tree to the vine? I know the label says "tree" but it so looks like thick vines and not trunks.

Thanks,

Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wisteria Tree or Vine?

Jim,
They are one in the same.
Check out link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisteria tree thread

o

The 'tree' is really a vine that is grown as a semi-self-supporting plant. I wouldn't expect it to continue to grow upward and support itself, like a real tree would. The growth that will come from it will be viney. If I wanted to grow a free-standing wisteria in an open location, I'd put a large timber in the ground and grow the vine on that. Eventually with some prudent trimming you'd get what looks like a wisteria trunk, but is really a timber covered, more or less, in thick wisteria vines, with a shaggy growth of vines coming out of the top. You can do the same thing with Trumpet Creeper.

o

A neighbor of mine in Massachusetts used to have one of those "trees" in her front yard. It was quite old, and stood on its own. It was kept short by pruning, I guess, and flowered nicely every year. It was quite attractive, and the trunk was a bit wavy looking, but looked like it was all one trunk--probably about six or eight inches wide. It probably was several vines twisted together, though.

I suspect keeping it to size in Pennsylvania might be more of a challenge; things grow in a more restrained fashion in Massachusetts. The soil is poorer, and the climate is a bit more challenging than in PA.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here