Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tuberoses won't bloom planted in pots

Posted by petimager 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 22, 05 at 0:28

I bought tuberoses from QVC .They bloomed the first year but last year didn't bloom.I thought I may have taken them out too late last year.So this year, 2005 ,I brought them up from the garage & are growing well except I don't know if I need to transplant them becuase they seem to me to be crowded. The green leaves fill the 10 " pots.Should I transplant them into larger pots. I do feed them with Hawaiian plant food you add to water especially for tuberoses . I do give them a lot of sun & water them according to instructions. Also use the plant food which you dilute with water & then feed them. I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong. I realize it's only July 22 but 2 years ago they were bloomed by know. Appreciate anyone's help .Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tuberoses won't bloom planted in pots

I had the same problem. When I did some research online I learned that its very difficult to get them to bloom year after year. You'll probably have to wait until the offsets grow up.

o

what do you mean by the offsets grow up?

o

When I grew tuberoses in South Carolina I found you had to separate them yearly like you do other tubers/bulbs. The tubers/bulbs recreate by tuberettes/bulbettes (as I call them, not their technical name). Each spring when they started to emerge from the ground I would dig them up and separate the tubers/bulbs and replant only healthy ones and some of the smaller ones. I always had some that would bloom. Kind of like cannas.

There is always next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here