Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greyandamy

Euphorbia Ascot Rainbow

greyandamy
12 years ago

I purchased 3 of these (Euphorbia 'Ascot Rainbow')from Santa Rosa Gardens when they were on sale. They are reportedly hardy down to zone 6.

Upon recieving them, I started researching and getting conflicting info. Online,after a lot of browsing, sources state EVERYTHING from hardiness to zone 5, 6, 6B (whatever that is) to zone 7.

I'm growing in 3 pots for now, but would love to place in the ground. Consequently, I would hate to lose them in our zone 6 winters (Pittsburgh area). Some plants I don't care if they may perish, others I like more... it must be novelty.

It's SO hard for me to believe that one plant can be listed in so many diffferent sources as so many diff. hardiness zones. I always tend to plan for an unusually cold, nasty winter.. that may happen. I guess I could also put in ground and always dig up in late autumn and place in pots to store in protected area (basement). Though I don't want to damage roots if the plant is one that dislikes being relocated.

I do love the looks of this plant, and hey... if they must stay in pots, so be it. I'll be interested further on in more info about hardiness as it becomes more available.

I also think of additional winter protection if they were in ground, but don't want to rot or otherwise harm a plant that doesn't seem to appreciate excessive moisture. The more you read, the more confusing it may be. (i.e. protect from drying winter winds).

Does anyone here grow these in ground? Any info would be appreciated! I know they are relatively new.

THANKS!

Comment (1)