Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geoforce_gw

Something digging up my plants !!

geoforce
18 years ago

Over the last 3 weeks, I have had 5 perennials which I planted this season dug out of the ground by something. The plants are not eaten, and, up till now at least, I have been able to replant them and minimize damage, but I can't figure out what is digging them up. One of the plants had been planted for only 2 days, but others for weeks, and one for over 2 months. I find the plants lying beside an excavated hole, which is obviously dug out by a small animal as the contents are not thrown far from the hole edge. The hole is dug to the size of the hole I planted in and all the ammended soil has been removed but apparently is still there.

I suspect squirrels, as the plants are not even nibbled on, but can't figure what they are doing this for.

George

Comments (23)

• Pipersville_Carol
    18 years ago

Strange. Sounds like something is grabbing them and pulling them out of the ground, but then deciding they aren't tasty enough to eat.

• jesmello
    18 years ago

I am constanly having holes du in my gardens also. Everyone always tells me it is our neighborhood skunk. But whatever is doing this in my yard does not dig up plants. Just dirt and mulch.

• geoforce
    Original Author
    18 years ago

These aren't pulled out, as the plant is un-nibbled, and the hole is excavated to larger than the plant roots, since I always follow that advice about "$1 plant $10 hole" and ammend a larger volume of soil. Almost all of the ammended soil is removed from the hole.

George

• wolfe15136
    18 years ago

My idiot neighbor feeds peanuts to our huge glossy squirrels.

The evil beasts bring the peanuts to my yard, uproot anything recently planted, even in pots(!), and bury their treasure.

They're too lazy to actually dig their own holes, when there is all that nice loose stuff so temptingly convenient.

• mwoods
    18 years ago

Raccoons are notorious for digging up plants and then just leaving them. we have a couple who visit here every night and they did that with my Casa Blanca lilies.Luckily I replanted them and they bloomed. Do you have an raccoons in your area?

• spiderwoman
    18 years ago

It could also be a rabbit preparing a nest for impending babies. They take a few days to prepare a site first digging a hole, then filling the hole with dried grasses and other vegetation and finally lining the whole thing with hair plucked from her own chest and haunches. The nest of an experienced mother is water-proof and tight enough to keep the little ones warm. They usually dig under plants or beside a clump of vegetation to make the hole and a newly human-dug hole seems to be particularly attractive. I am cat-less this year and the neighborhood rabbits have declared my gardens THE nursery site of choice.

spiderwoman

• lynn_d
    18 years ago

Whoever or whatever has dug up my morning glory vine a dozen times this year! The poor thing is on it's last legs!!

• beanmomma
    18 years ago

Squirrels most likely.

Every spring I have to patrol after planting to re-plant everything they've excavated.

Squirrels dig to both bury and retrieve food. A squirrel can smell that the ground has been disturbed and most likely assumes something tasty has been hidden there either by himself or a rival squirrel. He digs down to find the (assumed) hidden nut.

• blueheron
    18 years ago

I agree with the above. It's probably squirrels. I got so mad one time that I put a little stockade of rose prunings around my newly planted perennials. It works most of the time.

• homegardenpa
    12 years ago

More than likely it's squirrels looking for nuts. I covered my corn planting in chicken wire just to give them time to sprout before they start their excavations. A thick mulch seems to deter them slightly, but only slightly. If it's exposed dirt, they'll go after it in a heartbeat.

It could also be raccoons as they dig for grubs, which are root feeders. If they smell them at the base of a plant - out of the ground it goes.

• basujo_gmail_com
    12 years ago

If the plants are dug up at night it is most likely raccoons. Squirrels aren't nocturnal and do their foraging and digging during the day but they mostly stick to freshly planted bulbs not plants.

• Baavina_ATT_net
    12 years ago

Same problem here....Buy "shake away", spread it today and all day long no visiters! Squirrels in my beds nor possums on fence. Sooo Happy!!
    It is safe for our pets too!

• sweetiepea2696
    7 years ago

I plant one day and the next day they are dug up in not sure by what so I take a stake and tie a store bag on it , it seems to work , but would still like to no what is digging them up ..

• nonameformetoday
    6 years ago

we had 6 perennials dug up the night after we planted them, we replanted and had two of the same ones dug up the next night. we have raccoons, would they do that?.

• Mark Parcells
    5 years ago

I've had a lilac bush, planted two weeks ago, have the same thing happen. We have squirrels, raccoons, possum and ground hogs. I initially suspected juvenile ground hogs, but it sounds like according to everyone else's experiences, squirrels and raccoons may be to blame. Okay, so, step 2, how to make them stop?

• Black Waters
    5 years ago

Use a motion camera.

• Black Waters
    5 years ago

to find out what is doing this..

• poaky1
    5 years ago

I'm in SW Pa, and I have seen many small holes where I have perennials planted under my trees, I must say that I haven't seen any plants "Dug up" though, but, I am curious what the holes are for. I am sure my pest that has dug holes in my areas where I have plants, isn't likely the same pest, since the plants haven't been dug up, but, I do wonder what pests would dig a hole near plants but not upheave them, but, will hide out in these holes, I've even heard that Copperhead snakes hide in holes, but, I've never seen a Copperhead her in my my yard, the only one I've ever seen was up in the mountains, at a very good amount of elevation from my home. I do think that the holes are likely from Moles.

• HU-100506681
    3 years ago

Like you, I have something repeatedly digging up my plants. It doesn't eat them. It just digs around them and the plant is often thrown aside. I put up a camera and found I have at least one racoon and 1 possum entering my yard. I suspect the racoon doing the damage because no plants have been eaten todate.

• poaky1
    3 years ago

Hey Hu, I haven't seen any holes this year yet. I'm thinking that mine was either moles or a critter eating grubs out of the ground and making those holes to get to them. Yeah, that raccoon was likely your culprit, maybe we had a raccoon last year, or a possum.

I am just glad that none of them went into the garbage cans. We have small fences around the cans but something or somebody bashed into the fences and now they are mostly leaning over on one side. The fences are near the driveway that we share with 4 other families. later Hu.

• User
    last year

yep, raccoons, and yes they are nocturnal. Buy, repellent and spread it around the area. they dug up my lilac, i replanted it and spread repellent, fixed the problem. just planted a hibiscus, noticed some digging, i had spread repellent in the area week before so it deterred further digging deeper, so i just spread more repellent over my entire flower bed, do so weekly.

• donna epstein
    11 months ago

Shrubs are too big for squirells. More likely a raccoon. Depending on where you live armadillos are a possibility. I live next to a creek where every Memorial Day weekend a snapping turtle comes out to lay eggs. She digs three big holes before she settles on a location. i just replanted three butterfly bushes that something dug out! Grrr!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES